Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2014 19:00

How to restore backed up files that was created during factory reset and saved in external hard drive in windows 8.1?

Dear all,

Recently there was a problem in my Dell XPS 12 and I had to use Dell factory reset to renew my windows 8.1. While I was doing factory reset my computer created a back up of all my personal files and save them in a folder called "20140701120559_BACKUP". Inside this folder there are so many ".INP" files and some XML files. When I open "include.xml" I can see the path for all my files. Sadly after my computer finished installing new windows it didn't restore my files and it restarted and came up with new windows. Now I am trying to restore my files but "Dell Back Up" and Restore application cannot find the back up and I cannot select manually that back up on my external hard drive. Then I did some search and I ended up that I can use a solution that was explained in this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=539013

Using this application I can select the back up in my external drive but when I press restore, I receive this error:

SoftThink SAS has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

And when I press close, it will close and nothing will happen!

Can anybody please help me to find a way to restore all my files?

Thank you,

Saman

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 13:00

I just found out that MigRestore.exe is making a log file and in it's log file I found this error:

[2014-07-03 14:05:05]Info: RestoreUserDataW: [2014-07-03 14:05:05] ERROR : RegQueryValueEx('UserDontShowInLogonUI') on SAM\SAM\Domains\Account\Users\000003E9 : The system cannot find the file specified.
(2 - 00000002)

Hope somebody here can help me.

Thank you

3 Posts

July 15th, 2014 13:00

I am so amazed that nobody replied here and when I called Dell they told me that I have to pay $240 for them just to take a look and see if they can fix my backup or not! (Even though I still have warranty) I think I should stop suggesting my friend to use Dell!

25 Posts

July 15th, 2014 20:00

Try moving your backup file into C:Drive instead of from your external, it may not be reading the drive whilst trying to restore.

June 30th, 2015 22:00

Did anyone ever help you with this problem.  It just happened to me today - while a Dell Software Tech was helping me.  He is researching the problem.

July 16th, 2016 18:00

Estou como mesmo problema. Você conseguiu resolver?

I have the same problem. You could solve? Help me please:

http://pt.community.dell.com/support-forums/notebooks/f/83/t/50201

No Events found!