Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2016 02:00

I am facing Media missing Error in my Dell Laptop (Windows 10)

I am facing Media missing Error in my Dell Laptop (Windows 10 OS) . Windows screen is not booting. F8 button  is also not working.While working with external hard disk . Lap keupad got strucked.I Switched off the Lap directly using power button. when i switch it on ,i am facing this issue. What to do.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 4th, 2016 11:00

:emotion-2:

Please list Dell model number. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543

In the meantime, I'd suggest powering off the system, disconnect AC adapter and all peripherals. Remove battery, press "Power On" button for 15seconds, and then release. Replace battery, adapter, and then power on the system. Hopefully, your system starts normally.

4 Posts

July 4th, 2016 11:00

Inspiron 15-5548

2K Posts

July 4th, 2016 15:00

Hi VIJAY86,

What is the exact system model?

Disconnect the external HDD - try the step as advised by the previous user. If the system still does not boot into windows, then Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

If you are having trouble running the diags as per the above step, you could alternatively power off the system - press and hold the fn key + power button to turn on the system and it should initiate the diags.

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check if the HDD is detected. If there is an ODD on your system, then check and eject if there is any media / disc.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

4 Posts

July 4th, 2016 21:00

Sir  my model is inspiron 15_5548. Yesterday I tried F8 option with my USB which is having factory backup. I am receiving 0xc000000f error. Boot configuration data is missing for your PC error. I tried repair option and system restore both  options seems to be not working. What I have to do.i hv disconnected power supply  and external hard drive.

2K Posts

July 9th, 2016 10:00

Hi VIJAY86,

Thank you for the update.

Apologies for delay in response as our site was under maintenance.

Have you run the diagnostics as advised in my previous post? 

If you have the Windows OS media, then you can boot off the OS media and choose command prompt as one of the options and perform the BCD repair - see this article - http://dell.to/29yIbED - for list of steps and repair commands listed under "Second Method".

This might help fix the BCD file on the system. 

If not, you might need to reinstall the OS on the system. 

If the system is under warranty, you could download the OS image here - http://dell.to/1JsMeJg

4 Posts

July 9th, 2016 22:00

HI

Thank you for your reply . I tried to boot my lap with Windows 10 OS ( downloaded from the site) ,With that I tried to re install/repair the OS , but i am getting hardware error .In boot menu sometimes my hard disk is showing sometime not . I run a diagnostic option from Boot menu , i am able to see hard dsik 1Tb . I am hearing the sound of hard disk running .But i am receiving hard disk error .I am not able to proceed further.My lap is under Warranty .If I Open and put back the battery ,whether my warranty will become void? until now i have not touched the hardware.

At present i am in Sohar city ,Oman .Whether any Dell Service center is there nearby.

2K Posts

July 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi VIJAY86,

Thank you for the update. 

It certainly looks like the HDD might be faulty. However, is there a specific error code you encounter?

We do not have a service center in Oman, however, since the system is under warranty, you could take the system to one of our service partners and get it checked - see the partner info here - http://bit.ly/1OaGai4

No Events found!