Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2014 14:00

I can hear audio through headphones but can't hear through speakers....

I have dell inspiron n5520 3rd generation, and i have windows 8.1 installed. I never had this problem before. I was playing a game left for dead 2 when i lost my sound through speakers, and than i could only hear through the headphones. I uninstalled the driver conexant hd smart audio, and than i could hear sound through default high definition speakers. Now it's been 2 days, and now i have new problem, while i'm playing some game like battlefild 3 or call of duty black ops 2, after i close game, i lose sound through speakers, but not through the headphones. I downloaded the driver from: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=Y1116&fileId=3285732257&osCode=WB64A&productCode=inspiron-15r-5520&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AU

I have to keep reinstalling the driver, and than the driver doesn't work than again i start using the windows audio driver: the high definition audio driver.

Is there any solution for this. I didn't want to mess with the registry, so i'm posting here in forum for help.

Please let me know if someone can help resolve this issue.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 1st, 2014 06:00

Hello. I'm sorry that you have not received an answer. I don't know what the solution is.

Usually when there is a problem but using the native driver fixes it, then the problem is in the vendor's (Conexant) driver. But because the vendor driver had been working all right I don't know why it suddenly developed issues. If it had become corrupt then installing a fresh copy would have fixed that.

Your symptoms are similar to those that have been occurring on laptops with Windows 8. The problem was caused by a Windows update in July. However that problem did not affect Windows 8.1 laptops.

[Edit: I was thinking of something else.]

The only thing I can think of that should fix it is to perform a system recovery and restore the laptop back to the original configuration, because the issue was not present when the laptop was new.

September 1st, 2014 07:00

It's ok. I reinstalled the driver, but the error was still there, i run the troubleshooter, and it gave a reg log file. I ran that reg file log that i found in the details of the troubleshooter, and reboot my laptop, and than the sound returned itself. Now i can hear the sound through both speakers and headphones. I guess that left for dead game might have tampered with the sound driver. But after a fresh reinstall + trouble shoot. It finally works :).

Dell is the best :)

Kind Regards,

Hammad Aslam 

No Events found!