Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2016 06:00

I can't update firmware on M4500 from A06

Hello,

I have tried every which way to upgrade the firmware on this Precision M4500.  It's currently on A06.  I have updated every other update but i can't seem to get the firmware current.

Can anyone help me on this?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 19th, 2016 07:00

That is a good thing. Leave it alone. Laptops almost never need update to the bios or driver updates. You can brick the old computer by installing a bios you don't need. Explain why you are trying to update and what problems if any you are having. Only update drivers when advised by a support tech.

The driver list is for reinstalling drivers you already have, not updating. It will also have drivers for diff hardware that you don't have. If you install drivers you don't need it ccould cause major problems. Your model is not approved for windows 10. There are no win 10 drivers for your model. You will have to use the generic drivers supplied by windows if you update. Those might work but might not perform as well as you like.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2016 08:00

Thank-you Mary.  It's more of a security issue than anything else.  I have read hackers like to exploit vulnerabilities in the firmware.  When i install the A07 or A08 firmware it loads it by nothing happens.  I guess if i really wanted to get to the latest firmware i would have to re-image the notebook  i just thought someone else would have a better plan or easier fix.  And yes, i'm not planning on Window's 10.  I will get a new notebook before loading that OS.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2016 13:00

Is there a fully charged battery and a recognized AC adapter connected to the system?  If not, the BIOS won't flash.  If there's a  password on the system BIOS, it needs to be removed before the flash will succeed as well.

3 Posts

February 20th, 2016 05:00

Yes and Yes.  Thank-you.  I have gone into the BIOS and try to remove the password and that doesn't work,  Now i have another problem.  I tried to load defaults on the security section but it didn't remove the password....

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 20th, 2016 07:00

You'll need to place a voice call to Dell to have the password removed.  Until it's removed the BIOS will not flash.

No Events found!