Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

April 9th, 2004 18:00

I don't know anything about computers. HELP!

Hi, I was hoping that someone would help me to figure out what I do and do not need in a laptop.  I know you're probably laughing, but I really have no clue what I need.  I know what I want though:  I need to be able to use wireless internet, and I'm a student, so I need it for papers and all that stuff (I need excel too) and I'm not going to be doing any games or anything on it, so I don't need graphics stuff, and I do want to watch (not necessarily burn) dvd's without them skipping, but I do want to be able to burn CDs.  I'm not going to be doing anything complicated with it, but I need it to be light for travel.....can someone help me?  I don't know what half the options are, so I don't know if I need them! I'd really appreciate it.... 

April 9th, 2004 19:00

Try the 600m laptop.

It has Centrino technology (a power saving laptop processor and wireless internet capability) and you can pick the least powerful processor if you only want to run basic Word and Excel duties (you can order this software package when you configure your laptop).

Also, you can pick teh 32mb video card option which will save you money and can run many popular games if you change your mind later.

I would also pick the CD-RW/DVD combo drive (or a DVD-RW drive which can burn DVD's as well).

And finally, it is the second lightest laptop in the Dell lineup. I found the 300m to be too small with its 12.1 screen. The 600m has a much more eye-soothing 14.1" screen. Check it out!

5 Posts

April 9th, 2004 20:00

Hey, thanks a lot for your help.  I am a complete blonde (sorry if you're blonde) when it comes to computers.  If you would be so kind, could you help me with some other questions?  Can you tell me what an operating system is, and what the differences are?  And also, I don't know what a wireless networking card is.  Does it matter what I get, if I'm going to hook it up to a cable connection at home as well as use it wirelessly? same with the processor.  I'm not sure what the differences are, and what kind I need.  Do you know if I need anything extra if I were to get a printer for it also?   Well, that's it.  Thanks again for your help.     

2.6K Posts

@mharasaki wrote:
Hey, thanks a lot for your help. I am a complete blonde (sorry if you're blonde) when it comes to computers. If you would be so kind, could you help me with some other questions? Can you tell me what an operating system is, and what the differences are? And also, I don't know what a wireless networking card is. Does it matter what I get, if I'm going to hook it up to a cable connection at home as well as use it wirelessly? same with the processor. I'm not sure what the differences are, and what kind I need. Do you know if I need anything extra if I were to get a printer for it also? Well, that's it. Thanks again for your help.

No worries - not everyone is born knowing what 802.11b is :)

Operating system: This is the piece that lets all the other applications runs. For most people, this is Windows, specifically Windows XP. For your uses, Windows XP Home is probably the best choice.

Wireless networking: Think of normal networking (i.e. with a wire), but instead of having a wire, you have air! Basically, you can do everything over a wireless network that you can over a wired network. I would advise you, if you can afford it, to get one, because even if you think you wont need it now, you'll want it later. The best choice for most right now is the TrueMobile 1350.

Processor: For notebooks, there are basically 2 choices: Pentium4-M, or a Pentium M (aka centrino). The P4-M processors are a little more powerful at the top end, but for most users (and your uses) aren't necceasry. They also GUZZLE DOWN the power. Most people are fine with the Pentium M processors, and they use FAR less power, while still being fast enough for all but the most demanding user.

For a printer, just get any USB printer, and you'll be fine.

Like the above poster, I would recommend the 600m.

808 Posts

Sounds to me you want a higher end laptop. You first say you want to do for papers and stuff, but not games. That would put you at the lower end, but then you return and say you want to watch and burn DVD's. That would put you on the other side. I like the wide screen of my 8600, but if you're happy with the smaller screens then the other one should do nicely. I would stick with the celeron CPU since it saves power, runs cooler and is pretty fast. I might suggest checking out the refirb units also, but since it's a laptop, I would pay the extra for the "Complete care" warranty. And you will need a printer if you need to print something. I have a wireless card in here as well as the wired one. And another feature is a Bluetooth card. So now I print wirelessly. :-) I have a Canon bjc-85 with a bluetooth adapter.

Message Edited by Odius on 04-09-2004 04:36 PM

808 Posts

April 9th, 2004 22:00

But a real good video card would make the viewing nicer, wouldn't it? And the Pentium M is the celeron chip, isn't it? Dang, get confused about laptops. Yep the 8600 is wider, maybe a little bit heavier, but it is better than the 8200 which I had. And as far as the warranty. Hmm bought another 8200 because I dropped my cup of coffee on my last one, kind of wish I had the complete care, it would have been covered and I would have got it replaced. But the 8200 I bought to replace that one did have complete care, it started giving me static shock. Dell replace it with this 8600 within a week. So my complete care served it's job. And on a laptop so many things can happen by accident that unless you can afford to replace a $2000 system every year, I would pay the extra $300 it cost to add the complete care.

100 Posts

April 9th, 2004 22:00

Watching and burning DVDs does not require a high-end notebook (games do).  Since you need portability and do not plan to game, I would go with the 600m.  I recommend getting the P-M 1.4 CPU and 256 to 512mb RAM ... will give you all the power you need for the applications you mention.  Stick with the Centrino setup to maximize battery life, and get the DVD/CD-RW combo media drive so you can watch DVDs and burn CDs.  I would definitely avoid a Celeron CPU.  The warranty is up to you ... and it will add a lot of money to your order if you choose the longer one with complete care.  Personally I never get more than a year.  You can always extend the warranty before it is up anyway.  BTW, the 8600 is a great notebook, but it is bigger and bulkier to carry around.

2.6K Posts

April 9th, 2004 23:00

Odious - you seem VERY confused.

A niver video card will not affect the viewing quality on a laptop - only its perfomrance with games. The Pentium is the polar opposite of a celeron - its has a full 1MB of cache, making it MUCH faster than other similarly clocked chips, and MUCH MUCH faster than a Celeron.

And yes, I would recommend the Complete Care as well.

April 10th, 2004 01:00

I would say your decision depends on what you will primarily be using the laptop for.

If portability is more important, the 600m is definitely the way to go.

If picture quality with DVD's is more important, than you might want to look into the 8600. It has a gorgeous 15.4" screen that is really, really good for movies (wide screen aspect)

I would still recommend the 600m though. I use it to play movies and it runs absolutely fine. I would love the added viewing space of the 8600 but in no way does the use of the 600m reduce DVD picture quality.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2004 13:00

Hey thanks a lot to everyone!  I think I'm going to decide on the 600m.  I can't believe how helpful people are willing to be!  Thanks.  I'm sure I'll have more questions after I get my new laptop.  -m-

5 Posts

April 11th, 2004 20:00

hehe, Another question for you (or anyone)...my parents got me this memory key thing from Japan, and I can't read the entire instructions (in japanese).  I asked my brother, and he said that I can basically use it to replace any floppy disk since it can be used on any PC (it plugs into the USB port, I think).  Is this true?  So does this mean that I don't need a floppy disk drive?  And can I really use it on any PC even if its old and even if I have to use it at some random computer at school (do you usually need to download stuff in order to use the memory key, since I can't download on school comps)?  Also, if I don't get a floppy drive, I know that the space can be used for other stuff, but what other stuff can I get in place of it?  

Also, any thoughts on what sort of warranty I should get?  I think I'll be taking it places regularly.

Thanks again!  

5 Posts

April 11th, 2004 20:00

Hey,

About the wireless networking card.....I don't think that I'll ever be at home without plugging it in to my cable connection, but I want to ba able to access the internet wirelessly in airports and such.  Is the card necessary for this, or is it just for use in the home from signals from my existing service?  Thanks for all your help.  Hopefully I'll be getting this thing soon!

401 Posts

April 11th, 2004 23:00

yeah  if you wanna connect in airports and such you need the wireless card. 
No Events found!