Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

January 20th, 2009 09:00

I need to find out if my LattitudeD600 Bios can support a 160G hard disc

Hi...I have a Lattitude D600 X86 based laptop, running Windows XP Pro version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600.  The processor is an x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel 1498 Mhz.  The BIOS Version/Date is Dell Computer Corporation A14. 9/7/2004.  The SMBIOS Version is 2.3.  The laptop was originally shipped with Windows XP Home, but the person I bought it from installed the Windows XP Pro version above, and apparently also installed the 40G hard disc, as the service tag indicated that it was shipped with a 30G hard disc.  I want to install a larger hard disc, but the smallest EIDE hard disc I can find new is 160G. A previous post from JackShack stated that in order to use a larger hard disc the BIOS must support 48 bit LBA.  How can I determine if the current configuration will support the much larger hard disc?  Any help will be greatly appreciated...

7 Posts

Hi JackShack...Thank you very much for your help.  The link to the 120G HD was also appreciated.  I did have one other question.  The disk with the XP Pro operating system that I have is not the one that was used to install the current operating system.  Can I examine the disk containing the new XP Pro operating system to determine whether it supports the larger HD? If so, how do I go about doing that?  Thanks again for your help

6.4K Posts

Perhaps I neglected to mention in the post you saw that it is still possible to use a larger hard drive provided your operating system installation disk supports 48 bit LBA.  This is true for Windows with Service Pack 1 or later.

The catch is that the BIOS is used to access the drive during Windows start-up.  Occasionally there will be an error that can corrupt the drive, leading to re-installation of the operating system.  Certain utilities also use the BIOS routines to access the hard drive, and using them can corrupt the data on the drive.

If you truly cannot find a smaller drive, you might consider making the C partition smaller than 137 GB and allocating the remaining space to a D partition, putting your data in that.  If the OS is corrupted, you will be able to reinstall it if necessary without bothering your data.

If you live in the U.S., you can still get 120 GB drives for your notebook.  See this:  WD1200BEVE.  Or take a look at this page:  120 GB Laptop Drives.

7 Posts

January 20th, 2009 10:00

Hi JackShack...I checked the OS CD and it is for Windows XP Home and Pro, and includes Service Pack 2.  Can I therefore assume that it will accomodate the larger hard disc?  Also, I have heard reference to Service Pack 3 and 4 (apparently whoever installed the newer OS that is currently in use installed XP Pro, Service pack 3)  Will there be any problems if I install a new, larger HD and then install XP Pro, Service Pack 2?  I remember that I tried to install SP3 on my last laptop that was running XP Home, SP2 and the whole thing just froze up.  Can I install Service Pack 2 and then upgrade?  Should I even bother?  I know...so many questions...Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

6.4K Posts

The disk having Service Pack 2 will work just fine.  Service Pack 3 works well for most folks, but Microsoft does state that certain applications can cause trouble.  You should read this before attempting to update to SP-3:  Service Pack 3 Prerequisites.

Windows XP and Vista haven't reached Service Pack 4 yet; this may be a reference to Windows NT version 4 which requires Service Pack 4 to use drives larger than 137 GB.

6.4K Posts

I don't know that the WD drive comes without a warranty, although one would think NewEgg would have mentioned one if it had a warranty.  If you look at the Western Digital site, their laptop (mobile) drives generally have either a three-year or five-year warranty.  Given that I don't know the reasons for absence of this statement on the NewEgg page, however, it would probably be prudent to assume that the drive comes without one.

The reasons you find the Seagate attractive, however, are exactly why I generally purchase them.  I put up the link to the WD drive simply because it was the first to pop up.

6.4K Posts

The Windows installation CDs have the statement right on the disk to the effect that it incorporates Service Pack 1, 2, or now, 3.  If there is no such statement, you must assume that the CD is the original release of Windows XP that does not have 48 bit LBA, and therefore does not support drives larger than 137 GB.

The only other way is to have a drive larger than 137 GB installed into the machine and boot to Windows setup.  When you get to the point of deleting and creating partitions, there will be a report of the drive size as unallocated space.  If the disk has Service Pack 1 or later, you will see the actual size of the drive.  Otherwise you should see the size reported as 137 GB.

And you are very welcome.

7 Posts

Hi JackShack...I looked at the 2 links you sent...the Seagate HD has a 5 year warranty, but the Western Digital does not seem to have any warranty...is that correct?  Since both drives seem very similar,I would be tempted to get the Seagate to get the 5 year warranty...Thanks again for your help

9 Posts

February 17th, 2009 14:00

Greetings,

Newbie here...  This is very long, yet hopefully worth it...!

I'm confused by what seems to be contradictory advise (from several sources) regarding the D600's ability to support drives larger than 137 gb.  I believe that the D600's BIOS definitely does not support 48 bit LBA (required for drives over 137 gb).

That said, I have a 160 gb drive in my D600 (MS XP SP3) and it worked great until I started using more data space.  It started to hard crash at bootup with the black screen / blinking cursor about once a month and is now doing so every few days.  This crash is non-recoverable via XP repair tools nor via a rebuild of the XP partition with the XP boot disk.  I must re-image the drive from a DriveXML backup and then it works great... for a while.

At first I believed that I had a root kit virus or something else going on with the hard drive, yet wondered about the viability of using this size drive without D600 BIOS support.  XP SP3 supports it, yet I see comments (including here) that some apps access the HD via BIOS I/O calls, and that those situations would not function properly and cause data corruption.  I believe this is what I'm seeing happen on my 160 gb drive.  It only fails after I restart XP.  The WD Data Lifeguard Tools report zero problems with the drive.  I believe data is being miss-placed (aliased) via the lack of 48 bit LBA BIOS support.  There are other forum posts I've found that report this same issue with larger drives with the D600.

Here's a statement from MS, taken from Article ID: 303013 ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q303013):

By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
  • 48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
  • 137-GB hard disk or larger.
  • You must have Windows XP SP1 installed.

~~~

Then there's this confusing statement from Dell's site:(http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=0EA8627F72CC05E2E0401E0A541735C7&journalid=62DE3B9692CE14E5E040AE0AB5E11ECB&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false):

BIOS Reports Less-than-Expected Drive Capacity on Dell™ Latitude™ D600

If a 160 GB hard drive is installed in a Latitude D600 portable computer, the system BIOS will report the drive size as 137 GB. Systems developed prior to availability of 48-bit LBA drives may not include support for these drives at the BIOS level. The drive size will be reported correctly in the operating system and will function normally.

» Solution

The system or device is working as designed and is within Dell quality guidelines.

Here's a post from Experts-Exchange, regarding a Dell 8500, which also does not support BIOS level 48 bit LBA mode:

~~~

XP corrupts on shutdown? How to read event logs off external drive

Asked by CrazyLee in Windows XP Operating System

The Solution to the above issue:

02.15.2008 at 07:38PM PST, ID: 20907996
******SOLUTION******:This website and faq pretty much sums up what I've been experiencing.
http://www.48bitlba.com
http://www.48bitlba.com/faq.htm

My current hypothesis is the 137gig limit in the bios, in coordination with the XP SP2's ability to go above 137gigs. Using acronis I was able to transfer upgrade( awhile back ) from an 80gig drive to this 160gig drive. All was well until these issues popped up. I think as the drive utililization grew, I started having problems with my bios's lack of LBA48( >137 gig ) support. It's almost like I'm getting address aliasing/wrap around problems after the drive started filling up. For the Inspiron 8500 there is no bios yet that handles LBA48 correctly, so I downsized my partition to 100gigs using Disk Manager and all seems to be well so far. If you search on this problem, it seems it's common on a lot of laptops that were made before 2004 and/or people not updating their bios. I've not heard this solution, so I hope it gets investigated more. I welcome comments on this !! -Lee

******SOLUTION******:This website and faq pretty much sums up what I've been experiencing.
http://www.48bitlba.com/faq.htm

-Lee

~~~

I'm also confused about the viability of downsizing the partition size to under 137gb, in that some say this won't resolve the corruption issues, because the underlying BIOS limitation may still cause incorrect data positioning on the smaller (under 137gb) partition. 

Please shed some light on this very confusing topic...!!!

Thanks,

Pierre

9 Posts

February 17th, 2009 18:00

Many thanks Jack,

I will proceed by sticking to the 120 gb drives in my D600, which is sad, in that I purchased 2 160gb units last year.

That nebulous statement from Dell is aggravating, in that it leads you to believe it's gonna work OK.  I've followed posts elsewhere, which refer to that statement as a blessing from Dell to go above the 137gb limit on D600's.  Even the MS statement does not make a strong enough statement IMHO.  I'd like to see this issue framed as DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE HARD DRIVES LARGER THAN 137GB WITH BIOS THAT DOES NOT SUPPORT 48BIT LBA - NO MATTER WHAT THE OS REPORTS...!!!

There, I said it... may this message spread and help other similarly confused folks...!

P

6.4K Posts

February 17th, 2009 18:00

Actually, I think you have summed it up pretty well.  There are some IDE equipped laptops that have 48 bit LBA in the BIOS routines, but most do not.  Drives larger than 137 GB in the laptop world did not become common until after 2006, so the vendors saw no need to modify an otherwise perfectly good BIOS.

Anything that uses the 28 bit LBA routines contained in most BIOSes has a problem with large disks.  It is necessary to remember that even though the OS you are using may support 48 bit LBA, all PC's start up in DOS mode which makes use of the BIOS routines.  Most of the time this is perfectly ok since only the initial startup code is read using the BIOS.  After the Windows loader routine takes over, the code is all 48 bit and things go swimmingly.  I'm afraid I don't know what causes a PC using 48 bit LBA Windows to go haywire now and again.  One would think that the initial boot program would only supply addresses to the intial sectors of the disk to get the Windows loader started, but this is evidently not always the case.

I have been told that partitioning a greater than 137 GB drive into two, with the C drive being allocated 20-40 GB and the rest being reserved for data, alleviates the problem to a degree.  In this way even if your C drive crashes due to the lack of BIOS 48 bit LBA support, you can recover your OS without losing the data.

The safest course to follow, however, is to use a drive not larger than 120 GB on these systems.

14 Posts

April 19th, 2009 12:00

Thanks to all on this thread - I also saw multiple instances of boot sector trashing after I installed a 160G drive, and now I know what is causing it.  In my case, I set the partition size to 120Gb, and left the remaining space unused.  In my case, I saw the disk corruption under Windows XP SP3, so it is assumed that even attempting to use the remaining space as a D: drive would cause problems.

9 Posts

April 19th, 2009 13:00

I'm very glad to know that this discussion continues to help others.  I would add that I chose to not re-partition my 160 gb drive to 120 gb, in that I thought this configuration was not supported, due to remaining geometry issues between the BIOS and hard drive's head / sector mapping, which could still cause the dreaded data aliasing.  I purchased a new 120 gb drive and I have now gone 2 months without issue.  I may well be mis-informed, yet I'd be wary of using that 160 gb drive.

Thanks again, to all contributors to this thread...!
No Events found!