Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2015 07:00

I want some information on SupportAssist Version 1.0 please

MyDell has just been replaced by SupportAssist on my laptop.

I have not registered this yet, because I want to understand what the following means:

'... if necessary, automatically engage Dell Technical Support to address problems should they occur.'

Does this mean engaging technical support without my knowledge to fix things in the background?

My laptop is out of warranty; I don't want to suddenly find I'm hooked up to support that requires payment without my knowledge.

I tried to search for SupportAssist on here, but I can't locate any documentation that explains what is does etc. I tried to run a video but just got 'This video is private'. How can I find out about this if the video can't be accessed?

I will happily register for the service once I know what it is about and that I will benefit from it. Hopefully someone will respond speedily to help me get to that point.

Thank you.

1.8K Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Check out this article explaining SupportAssist.   There are links in the article that will take you to more information.   While it may connect you to support, that may request payment for out of warranty help, you won't be billed (or be liable) for that support unless you actively agree to it.

I hope this helps explain the new service offering.

Todd

27 Posts

February 18th, 2015 01:00

Thank you Todd.

To be honest the article doesn't really say much, though it does give me the feeling that SupportAssist is aimed at business users. I am an individual with a single laptop (and SupportAssist is marketed for PCs and tablets - not laptops!).

And your reply was a little late. I noticed that I was getting a whirring noise during startup and was able to associate this with SupportAssist and Data Vault (which had also appeared on my laptop). After doing some research I decided to uninstall these, and I no longer have the whirring.

But nor do I have anything able to scan my system in the way My Dell did. I like My Dell :emotion-1:

Is My Dell still available? This is what I downloaded; I did not choose SupportAssist. I know I could check through Windows itself, but My Dell was more convenient and I'd prefer to get this back if I can.

My husband's laptop is exactly the same Dell model, bought at the same time. He has My Dell and has not had any messages about SupportAssist.

And I hope this isn't asking too much, but I also posted a question about battery life which hasn't received any response yet. I'd really appreciate someone from Dell taking a look at that for me.

Thank you.

1.8K Posts

February 18th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

SupportAssist is the updated My Dell but I'm not sure if the older versions are still available.  You may try to google it and see if it's available somewhere. It is supposed to be geared towards both individual users as well as corporate IT groups.   It shouldn't matter whether you're using a desktop, PC, or a tablet.  

I'll take a look at the battery question and see if I can find someone to help you with that.

EDIT:  Did you post your battery question under a different username?

Todd

39 Posts

February 18th, 2015 18:00

I Believe Support Assist on my computer may have replaced PC Doctor, Though I'm not sure, I'm still on warranty

1.8K Posts

February 19th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Check out this post regarding SupportAssist fans running high, etc.   It may be able to help.

• 

36 Posts

February 20th, 2015 02:00

Hi All,

The SupportAssist team appreciates you bringing issues and feedback to our attention and will strive to address them openly and quickly. Dell Tech Support can help you through chat and phone.

SupportAssist is similar to MyDell with the addition of auto dispatch, and for systems with ProSupport and ProSupport Plus, auto case creation. New SupportAssist features will include software fixes (Click2Fix), video stress diagnostics, new technology diagnostics.

If you want to install SupportAssist you can download it from http://www.dell.com/supportassist.

We have a known issue with respect to the Buzzing/ stuttering sound you get on your system after installation of SupportAssist. If you can email me, I can send that hotfix across to you. It is a simple exe which takes seconds to implement. 

27 Posts

February 20th, 2015 05:00

No, it's under the same name.

Here is a link to the post:

en.community.dell.com/.../19618107

27 Posts

Thank you but I don't want to install SupportAssist. It was installed automatically and I have uninstalled it. I want My Dell back (please :emotion-1:).

I was getting a whirring from my fan at startup, not a buzzing/stuttering sound so I don't think your hotfix will apply to me, though it might be useful to others who read this.

27 Posts

I can't access that link right now Todd, I get an error.

But I can see it's to an alienware forum and that's where I found information about this issue a few days ago. I think that mentioned the issue was being worked on, but don't recall there being a fix available yet.

In another post it was suggested to try and find a link to My Dell elsewhere. If Dell are no longer offering it (and it is a Dell feature) would it be offered from other places?

From what I saw, SupportAssist did not appear to have the same options as My Dell. 

2.4K Posts

Here is a link to the Fix.

1.8K Posts

February 20th, 2015 08:00

Thank you but I don't want to install SupportAssist. It was installed automatically and I have uninstalled it. I want My Dell back (please :emotion-1:).

I was getting a whirring from my fan at startup, not a buzzing/stuttering sound so I don't think your hotfix will apply to me, though it might be useful to others who read this.

Hi Lobbers,

Sorry to say but I don't think that is an option.   My Dell was phased out in favor of the improved options in SupportAssist.   I don't believe you'll be able to find My Dell to download on the Dell site anymore.  

Todd

No Events found!