Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2017 08:00

INSPIRON 7520 Fan Problem in Windows 8.1 ?

Hi fellow Dell users,

Yet another laptop overheating problem and I suppose it is because the fan doesn't seem to blow...

I updated the BIOS to the last version and during the system diagnostic (F12 at boot) the fan was blowing quite normally (up to 4500rpm if I remember well)...

Moreover, I opened and clean the system from all the dust a few months ago but I didn't change any thermal compoung of any kind though...

Any hint folks ? Should a change thermal paste or something ?

Thx a lot for your help !

• 

17K Posts

September 6th, 2017 06:00

Alex Eide,

Is your System overheating or Shutting Down? If needed you should add some thermal grease.

Does the system report any Fan, Temperature or Thermal Event errors on start-up?

What is Normal System Heat?

System can become warm to the touch during usage when -
•Using for longer than 10-15 minutes.
•Watching a DVD/Blu-ray.
•Streaming online video.
•Watching or Interacting with Flash Content
•Playing Video Games or Online Games.
•Using near a heat source or in a hot environment
Fan noise and speed can increase or decrease due to the temperature of the system

What symptoms will I experience if my system is overheating?
•Random Shutdowns
•System Locking up
•System Freezing
•Random Reboots

Tips for Proper Usage
•Dell does not recommend placing portable systems directly on your lap. Due to reductions in the thickness of modern portable systems, heat transfer can be an issue.
NOTE: During normal operation, the temperature of the bottom of a portable system may exceed comfortable levels for sustained contact. It is possible that skin irritation could result from prolonged contact to the system chassis.

•Using a portable system (Laptop) on a hard, flat, non-cloth surface will increase airflow and reduce heat from underneath and inside the system.
Using the portable system on blanket, pillow, or other type of cloth will cover up the fan cause the computer to overheat and can cause permanent damage.

•It is recommended to use the portable system in a Room temperature of 0°C to 35°C (32°F to 95°F) with a Humidity level no greater than 90%.
For specified environmental usage temperatures for your system refer to your User's Guide or Setup Guide

•Use compressed air to clean the vents on a regular basis.

•Using a cooling pad can decrease heat and increase performance.
•If you want to know the temperature limitations fo you system, fo to the Dell Support Website, look up your system model then open the user guide under the manuals link.

Cleaning the Vents
1.Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
2.Turn off the System
3.Unplug the AC Adapter
4.Remove the Battery, for instructions on how to remove the battery see the Service Manual.
5.Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.
Do not use your mouth to blow the Dust out of a portable system. If using a can of compressed air use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2017 08:00

Hi Jesse,

Thx for the reply.

No shutting down for me. The cpu gets really hot (70°C, 80°C, even 90°C during stress test) but no rebooting but the fan doesn't spin at higher rate...

On startup it seems ok but when I did another F12 diagnostic; first no more fan info (due to bios updtae ?), second cpu stress test is interrupted with a message: "temp out of range" if I remember well...

Heat is ok after start up or after sleep but after long video streaming session it can become really hot (between 60°C and 80°C sometimes) and no reaction from the fan...

I'll try to open it and see if it needs a cleansing or some grease but I don't know why my fan isn't answering... Even Speedfan doesn't seem to control it...

No Events found!