Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2013 03:00

INSPIRON N5050 log in problems

I can't seem to log in to my laptop. I'm able to enter my password and then the welcome screen comes up whilst it loads but then the screen goes black and all I can see is the cursor. I'm still able to move the cursor so perhaps I am logged in but just unable to see my desktop? Any ideas?

3.1K Posts

April 5th, 2013 03:00

Hi Ami.I,

You may try to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter and the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Try to restart the computer and check

Alternatively, run the on-board diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo 4-5 times -> select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu ->please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

I would also suggest you to check if the issue persists in Safe Mode. Power off the computer -> Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times -> This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’ -> Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select) ->When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the computer is working fine.

Please reply with the findings.

2 Posts

April 5th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for the advice. I tried all of your suggestions without any changes to the state of the laptop unfortunately. I may have to get it looked over by a professional as I really don't know how to fix it myself.

3.1K Posts

April 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi Ami.I,

Thank you for the response. Were you able to run the Diagnostics via F12 menu? Were you able to access the F8 menu?

Since you have tried all the steps, you may try to perform PC Restore (if you were able to access F8 menu), which means taking the computer back to factory defaults to eradicate any software issues.
Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

Please refer to the link on steps to perform PC Restore http://dell.to/Wj1rZe 

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!