Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2014 11:00

If you own a Dell N5110 and it's OVERHEATING-SHUTDOWN, you have to READ THIS

So I have been suffering this issue for 1 year and a half, since my purchase of the i7 laptop.

If you do not want to read my bad English and want the simple solution, please just scroll down. You won't miss it.

Every time I played my favorite games -- Elder Scrolls, Dota or WoW the laptop became overheat and shutdown itself in 20 minutes. Even WAR3 will not work too long.

I cannot simply purchase a new one because, urrr, I have my mortgage now :( lessons learned: if you want to play for another few years, do not get married, do not buy properties.

I wouldn't say it is a perfect solution because it will limit the mobility, but it is pretty easy. The main design defect of N5110 cooling system is not the single thermal pipe (or channel ...? I don't know the right word). It is in fact strong enough to bring all the heat to the fan. 

The real problem, as some Russian friend pointed out (thanks god! I cannot remember his name), is the venting system. The inhale window is too small, and even worse, it can only inhale the heated air from the bottom of the laptop. You see, the laptop is already overheated, and all air around it is hot. 

So what should you do? 

GIVE YOUR LAPTOP A LIFT

GIVE YOUR LAPTOP A LIFT

GIVE YOUR LAPTOP A LIFT

I found my old laptop cooler with a usb fan in my closet. I setup my laptop, N5110 on it, left some space between N5110's bottom and the cooler. Cleaned the vent roughly with a vacuum cleaner. At first I thought it was the usb fan who did the magic. I played Elder Scroll for an hour and it did not restart. The highest temperature was about 85C, but it was ok. 

Later, I played Dota. It worked well, too. After several times, I was tired of hearing the noise made by 2 fans, and the temperature looked promising -- it was about 75C at most.  So I was tempted to stop the usb fan.... And it worked as well. My laptop hasn't restarted since last month.

But the bad part, As I said, is you will need to carry a small shelf and the laptop everywhere, if you want to play game with it while you are travelling....

Please give a try and tell me if it works for you! Thanks.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2016 08:00

Hi friend. I have the same issue with you since i bought N5110 Laptop. Can you recommend me some powerful cooler pad for me? I have tried few cooler pad but overheating issue still happen (might the rotating speed is not high enough). It is helpful information for those who bought this defective product.

No Events found!