Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2016 09:00

Infinite boot up loop

I have an Inspiron 7720 laptop I've had for a couple years from the Dell online store and it has always been reliably fast with windows 8. I recently upgraded to windows 10 and it is so slow that I decided to reinstall windows 10 and get rid of all my installed apps and personal files by selecting the recovery option. During the process, it said something was wrong and gave no error code. Now everytime I turn it on, it shows the Dell logo with black background saying it hadn't been properly shut down for about 10 seconds then shows the same thing again infinitely. When I press F12, it just shows a stretched out version of the logo and message. I've looked up about this problem but they all involve removing hardware. I'm not a technical person and am afraid to take out parts of my laptop, especially since it has been working just fine until windows 10 came along.

2K Posts

October 14th, 2016 05:00

Hi FREEXER,

Does the system go past the Dell logo? Are you able to get to f2 BIOS menu? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected?

Download the service manual here - http://dell.to/2dgKV7V - remove the battery and adapter and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to release any static power. Then try powering on the machine with adapter only / battery only and check.

Try initiating the onboard diagnostics - press and hold the fn key + power button to initiate the test - check for any possible error codes / beep codes.

If the system is still stuck on Dell logo - then remove and reseat the memory modules and test each module in each slot and check if the system goes past the Dell logo.

Disconnect the HDD and check if the system goes past the Dell logo.

If nothing works, I would suspect a faulty motherboard.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!