Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2011 09:00

Insp. Mini 1012 Connector End of Power Button Cable Broken Off Motherboard

I know this is almost certainly a lost cause, but I'm going to check anyway.

I was working on a friend's Inspiron Mini 1012.
The video wasn't displaying on the screen, but it seemed like it was on.
I tested by connecting it to an external monitor, and everything showed just fine there. So, that let us know that the computer itself was still just fine, and that the problem was something to do with how it passes the video to the built-in screen.

The machine is out of warranty.
He got a quote from Dell to refurb it, and a recommendation for a shop in the area.

Then (like an idiot), I suggested that I could open it and take a look, just to see if there is anything obvious that I could deal with (I'm an IT guy, but I clearly should not have done what I'm about to explain).

When I started opening it, I quickly learned that I was going to need some guidance. So, I looked around for a field/service manual. I also found a video step-by-step instructions for how to open one of these things.

I followed the video word for word....

Then, when it came to the point where I disconnect the other end of the power button from the motherboard, it said (and demonstrated in video) to just 'take hold of it, wiggle it a little bit and it will come out just like this' (my poor paraphrase)...

I did not yank on it forcefully or anything like that. I just did exactly what it showed in the video, but in my case, instead of the plug end of the power button's wires coming up and out of the coupler on the motherboard, the coupler just broke right off from the motherboard.

So, now I am stuck with a machine that I can't even turn on.....well, the normal way, anyway.

My questions...

1. Alternate Power-On Method?
If I can't get the power button reconnected and back in use (which I will ask about next), is there any other way to turn the computer on (like a secret combination of keyboard buttons, or magic words, or special computer power dance)?

2. No-Heat Soldering?
In the world of working with metal on vehicles, there is such a thing as cold welding with a kind of special goo (J-B Weld) that can be used to weld metal parts together when a regular welder either isn't available or wouldn't be practical.

Is there any such magical goo in the world of electronics that could do cold soldering for me so that I wouldn't have to heat the area up around where I need to reattach the connector? I figure, if there is anything like this, there is just enough of each side that I could indeed reconnect the thing, and use some epoxy (or ?) to keep the coupler itself stuck down on the motherboard.

3. If my friend were to go ahead with the Dell quoted deal to 'refurbish' the thing, it seems like they would most likely have to just replace the motherboard anyway in order to 'fix' whatever's wrong with the display not getting to the monitor (oops....or it may be just a matter of replacing the screen element and the motherboard may just be fine.....well.....don't think of that.....keep that thought locked away int he back of your mind for now and just deal with what I'm presenting....please). Ignorming the paranthetical comments, does that make sense?

4. Any other ideas?

Don't worry....I know I'm an idiot for opening this thing and trying to do anything at all in the first place.
In my own defense, I hadn't actually planned on even removing any parts other than just opening it up to 'look' at it.
The fact that I broke off the power connector is a complete fluke. Still, it's my fault.

I'll duck out of thew way now while you throw rotten tomatoes at me...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2011 10:00

In my area you can get them at used computer shops for $100 to $200 depending on whats in it.

Not worth fixing imho.  No such thing as Cold Soldering.

Just get a used one exactly the same model and swap the hard drive.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2011 11:00

Ya, I'm sure he will consider the used option, but the 'refurb' option from Dell is in that range as well, and he may prefer to just go that route. Thanks.

No Events found!