Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2016 13:00

Inspiration 15-352 crash :(

My beloved laptop was working fine when it suddenly started bleeping, screen went black and the fan was very audible. (I was not listening to Justin Bieber at the time, so that's not it ;)).
Now it won't start at all- when I press the start button, nothing happens, there are only a reddish flickering light and vague flickering light- the two right lights at the edge of the keyboard. That also happens when I connect the charger. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2016 16:00

Unplug the system and remove or disconnect the battery.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds and remove and reinstall the memory modules.

Verify that the LED on the AC adapter or the DC plug is ON before you plug in the notebook end.   If it's not, replace the adapter with a new one.

Try powering up on AC only.  If you can, but can't with the battery installed/connected, the battery is faulty and will need to be replaced.  

If you still can't get the system to power up, the mainboard is bad and will need to be replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 6th, 2016 16:00

On most Inspirons, unplug the system, remove the battery if it's removeable and remove the base cover.  If the battery is inside, disconnect it and then remove the memory modules and reinstall them.

If you need a link to the service manual, is it an Inspiron 3520 or 3521?

3 Posts

October 6th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for your answer! How does one remove and reinstall the memory modules?

The LED on the adapter is on. The computer won't turn on either with the battery or with only the adapter. All that happens when I press the 'on' bottom when the battery is connected or when only the adapter is a flickering red light and vague white light on the bottom edge of the laptop beneath the touchpad (the right two lights out of the four).

3 Posts

October 10th, 2016 16:00

Thanks! My friend removed the memory card and reinstalled it in a different slot to no avail.

I understand this probably means a mainboard failure- does that always mean a complicated repair (i.e- better off just buying a new laptop) or not necessarily?

Thanks again!

No Events found!