Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2011 17:00

Inspirion 1525: disabling the media buttons

I've searched up and down the internet to try to find an answer to this question, but I can't find one anywhere.

I spilled water on my laptop (inspiron 1525) earlier, and now the touch-sensitive media buttons (on the top-right, above the keyboard) are going crazy: mainly my problem is that the mute sound button keeps muting and unmuting my sound randomly. Touching it does nothing, and it's really annoying. I realize I can unmute my sound through the control panel sound options, but in the long run this is going to be really annoying, especially when I'm running full screened programs.

Is there any way to completely disable/deactivate these media buttons? So that they don't DO anything? My laptop's keyboard hasn't been working for a long time (I use an USB keyboard for my laptop), I disabled it by unplugging it inside the laptop, but I've read that unplugging the media buttons inside will also unplug the power button...? So is there any manual way to STOP these buttons from muting sound and such?

I did read something about something called Dell QuickSet(?), I have no idea what this is and I don't think my laptop has it... my laptop came with Vista but I downgraded it to XP myself, so there may be some programs missing for it...

Please help :(

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 19th, 2011 18:00

The keyboard doesn't work at all or only some of the buttons work? Here is the service manual. The first thing I would attempt to do is remove the keyboard and the button board, clean out any dust/water etc from the connections and then reinsert them. This blinking can be due to just a slightly lose connection.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2011 07:00

The keyboard isn't my problem at all, I think you might have misunderstood me...? I don't particularly care about the media buttons either, I was wondering if there's a way to disable them without disabling the power button for the laptop.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 20th, 2011 11:00

Yes I understood, I was just mentioned the above because:

a. You said your keyboard hasn't worked for a long time.

b. You said the media buttons are continuously flashing on and off.

Reseating them both might get them both to work properly and thus stop them from annoying you? I am not sure if moving the button board will disable the power and media key functionality.

No Events found!