Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2011 09:00

Inspirion 1545 - Dark Screen and Noises

Three days ago I began having problems with my 2.5 year Inspirion 1545 laptop.  The screen began flickering between bright (which it was set to) and dark (darker than lowest brightness).  I have noticed that it stays slightly brighter on the righthand side of the screen most of the time, but not always.  When the screen goes to its 'dark phase' it can still be read, but is really hard.  Sometimes it will flicker on and off numerous times in just a few seconds and sometimes it flickers more slowly so it stays dark for long periods of time.  I have also noticed that every time it goes dark a whining noise is heard from the right side of the keyboard.  This happens both when the laptop is plugged into the power source and when it is not.  When it goes dark and is plugged it, it still stays the computer is plugged in and charging.

Any ideas?  Is this more likely to be a hardware problem?  Can it be fixed?  I have checked updates and everything seems to be up-to-date regarding drivers and such.

Thanks.

934 Posts

December 12th, 2011 10:00

From you description I GUESS your laptop has CCFL backlight.CCFL is a kind of fluorescent lamp which needs voltages up 800V and more.To achieve this a so-called inverter board is necessary.The combination of inverter board and CCFL gives you the backlight for the screen.

It is highly likely that either the inverter board ,which is also responsible the "whining noise" or the CCFL is faulty.

Another possibility is a loose cable connection between screen and mainboard.

watch the video given by the link below-copy the link and replace "DOT" with "."

http://wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=tNzaqgSXmJ0

1 Message

December 12th, 2011 10:00

I have been having the same issue.  I have run diagnostics and have found that there is some error on my hard drive.  I have looked and looked for an answer to this issue, but I can not find an answer.

No Events found!