Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2010 14:00

Inspirion 1721 - CD/DVD Drive does not work

I crashed my computer approximately a year and half ago... don't know how, why or what, but my warranty was still active, so I called a Dell tech and she helped restore and reload all drivers, software, etc.   Computer worked great except for my DVD/CD "E" drive... it has never worked right since. 

I recontacted Dell a time later and paid the $50 because warranty was up to correct problem.  It still has never worked right.  At least I could reboot and get it to work.  Now, it doesn't matter whether I reboot or not... it will not read the drive.  Personal reasons why I have not gotten back with Dell to correct this problem until now. 

I really have a problem with paying the $50 bucks again, but will to get this "E" drive working right again.  Dell wants me to take out an extended warranty for $200 saying this is an ongoing problem.  That is incorrect... they never fixed the problem in the first place.

Also, I cannot use any screen savers because it says I need an updated memory card.  Not a huge deal, but annoying.  Sceen savers were not a problem before crash.

Any and all suggested will be much appreciated.

Teresa stilll frustrated...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2010 18:00

Reboot your PC. Quickly hit F12 key. Select and run Diagnostics on the CD drive.

No Events found!