Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 13:00

Inspiron 1000 & Wireless

I have an Inspiron 1000 (5 years old), XP system. It came with an "Integrated Network Card" but "no wireless card included." Until now, I have accessed the Internet using dial-up. (Why? Don't ask.) Anyway, next week, finally I am switching to High Speed Internet (Cox), which will use a Motorola Surfboard modem with my other computer in the house...Dell 3000 desktop. So my question relevant to the Inspiron laptop is: what wireless card (adapter?) will allow me to access the Surfboard modem via a Belkin wireless G router? (The internal 56 K modem that came with the Inspiron 1000 went kaput 6 months ago, and currently I access Internet via a Zoom external modem.) Any thoughts, advice, direction greatly appreciated. Thx.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 8th, 2009 15:00

You'll need a PCMCIA wireless card - this system has no internal slot for a wireless card.

122 Posts

December 8th, 2009 21:00

Thanks for the info. Just went online...and there are a zillion PCMCIA cards available. Are there such cards (brand - name) specific for my Inspiron 1000? My owner's manual says the card connector size is 68 pins; data width maximum for PCMCIA is 16 bits. Does the PCMCIA card that I purchase have to be compatible with the specific router & modem that I will be purchasing to support high speed internet (Cox)? Please forgive my ignorance as I try to enter the 21st century.

122 Posts

December 8th, 2009 21:00

Two additional questions...will I even need a router with such a PCMCIA card once it is in the Inspiron 1000? Or will it work directly with the Motorola Surfboard modem that will bring the high speed internet that will connect to my Dell 3000 desktop? Again, my ignorance is clear.

No Events found!