Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3137) 8gb RAM?

I'm looking to upgrade the ram on the newly released inspiron 11 3137. The laptop has one dimm slot that is also user accessible. It is currently only shipping with 2gb of ram. I realize the manual states it can support up to 4gb of ram, but has anyone tried adding a single 8gb stick?

It comes with win8 64 bit, and packs a recently released 4th gen haswell celeron. I'm thinking it may support an 8gb stick, but don't want to order without confirmation that someone has gotten it to work.

ADMIN NOTE: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED DUE TO AGE.  IF YOU HAVE A SIMILAR QUESTION, PLEASE CREATE A SEPARATE POST.  THANKS

51 Posts

January 27th, 2014 11:00

Crucial by Micron offers a 4GB module at http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=AB2EB6BEA5CA7304: 

DDR3 Upgrade for the Dell Inspiron 11 (3137) Laptop/Notebook

Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

Does anyone know if there is any risk in using a CL=9 instead of CL=11 module? Is there any benefit?

140 Posts

January 30th, 2014 00:00

I've found the sweet spot to be 4GB RAM and the SSD. In my opinion, the SSD upgrade is even more noticeable than RAM; but, I guess it really has to do with how you use it. For me, I didn't notice a difference between 4 and 8GB, so I sold the 8 stick.  For people asking of the system "uses" all 8GB of memory - - yes it does. This PC's chipset supports up to 16GB as long as a 64-bit operating system is used (which is in the 3137).  Just because Dell doesn't list more than 4GB as being supported, it's probably A) because they didn't test it ; or B) I have no idea lol.   

Anyhow, my two cents. This is my second Dell 11.6" laptop - the first being an iM11z with a first Gen Core i3. For the price, you can't beat what you get. The build quality is excellent, the size is perfect, and with $150 worth of upgrades, it becomes a dang quick machine. As long as your expectations are in line, I don't see how you'd be disappointed with the 3137.

6 Posts

January 30th, 2014 11:00

Hello,

What SSD make and  size did you get?  Did you clone your SATA to SSD or start from scratch?

Does Dell still push updates and is the one year warranty still applicable?  I am guessing so.

I have upgraded to 8,1 Pro.  I can see updates(during warranty period) as recommended by Dell for chipset, video, audio etc. but the Dell updates always fail. Not sure if this is due to going from 8.0 to 8.1 Pro.

BTW Did you get the Media Center pack for your laptop? If so, does it make a difference in offering virtual surround sound?

Regards

3 Posts

January 30th, 2014 12:00

My Inspiron 11 model 3137 came with Win 8.0, 2 Gb RAM, 486.6/453 Gb Toshiba MQ01ABf050 HD, and Intel Celeron 2955U @ 1.4 GHz processor as standard. No upgrades were offered beyond support agreements, McAfee and MS Student-Home Office. Crucial.com claims the system was good for 4 Gb RAM, so I order their CT4941919 204-pin SODIMM 4 Gb chip. I replaced the RAM with little or no difficulty. If I had known about the system handling 8 Gb chip, I think I would have ordered it instead. What faster processor can I install, and where would I get it? I'm having trouble downloading Win 8.1. Any suggestions, or do I need a faster processor?

51 Posts

January 30th, 2014 13:00

Dell warranty applies to 4GB and no higher. An earlier poster feels that is good enough for him and that SSD had maybe greater benefit in his usage.

I doubt that the processor is socketed and could be replaced but I've not had the back off to see. Many low end notebooks and all tablets are totally soldered, including the RAM. That you can upgrade RAM on this one is exceptional.

140 Posts

January 30th, 2014 18:00

I just got a Transcend 128GB SSD (model TS128GS340). I keep most of my personal files in cloud storage, so size isn't a huge issue. 

I cloned the stock drive using Apricorn EZ Gig IV software. I've always used this product and never had a problem. 

To clarify, you can get Dell driver updates for the life of your laptop ; not just during the warranty period... As for your update issues,  Sounds like a Windows 8.1 compatibility issue. I'm waiting for the bugs to get worked out before upgrading. 

To the other poster who stated Dell warranty does not support memory over 4GB, that is not necessarily true.  If a user buys a non-believers brand 8GB module, and for example, the motherboard fails, the warranty will still apply. (speaking from first hand experience with an older XPS M1330 laptop).  

51 Posts

January 30th, 2014 18:00

To the other poster who stated Dell warranty does not support memory over 4GB, that is not necessarily true.  If a user buys a non-believers brand 8GB module, and for example, the motherboard fails, the warranty will still apply. (speaking from first hand experience with an older XPS M1330 laptop).

I based my comment on this reply from a Dell rep to a review of the 3137:

Response from Dell.ca JonathanNforDell, Customer ReviewsOctober 25, 2013

Hello G2Z3,

I want to thank you for taking your time and posting here about your experiences with the Inspiron 3137 Ultrabook. That is a good tip about the memory, since adding more memory is always a good idea! This system has a single memory slot and it officially supports up to a 4GB memory module. I looked at our Dell Community Forums and it does seem that users have been successful at adding an 8GB memory module as well. While I do not foresee any problems with this, any support issues determined to be caused by this upgrade will not be covered under Dell's warranty. 

Dell Community Thread
http://dell.to/HlEKiz

If you would like to post your suggestions about memory options on IdeaStorm, there is a chance that your idea will make it into future revisions or laptops!

IdeaStorm
http://dell.to/18S6jGF

Hope this helps!

BTW, for those wanting more processor power and RAM from the get-go, I see Dell US now offers the 3138 using the Intel® Celeron® Dual Core processor N2810 and 4GB RAM. This processor clocks at 2GHz compared to 1.4GHz for the 2995U in the 3137. 

2 Posts

January 31st, 2014 17:00

checked, use G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-SODIMM-8GRSL 166C11S 8Gb works great, now I need to change the HD for a SSD.

6 Posts

February 20th, 2014 09:00

Sorry to revive a dead thread but could someone run passmark on the Celeron model w/ 4gb's of ram on this machine?

Curious to see if the pentium upgrade is worth it or not.

140 Posts

February 20th, 2014 13:00

What score are you looking for, specifically?

I just ran Perf Test with my Celeron 2955U, 4GB and SSD.

PassMark rating: 1160

CPU Mark: 1605

2D: 328

3D: 387

Memory: 1151

Disk: 2284 (SSD)

Hope that helps...

6 Posts

It helps a little. They are putting the Celeron N2815 in the entry level ones now, which is a Baytrail Processor and they are putting the Pentium 3556U in the better model. There are no Passmark numbers at all for the N2815

140 Posts

Oh, yuck. I'd go with the Pentium then for sure. This is just fast enough to not want me to throw it out the window.  Previously, I  had an Inspiron 1121 that had a 1st gen Core i3 and that was worlds faster.  I assume you've seen this site - even with no benchmarks for the 2815 - it has been useful to me to see CPUs arranged in a ranking order:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

1 Message

February 23rd, 2014 16:00

I bought this very 8mb stick, snapped her in, and got the blue screen of death three times with a configuration error, so I just swapped it back for the 2mb... any suggestions?

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2014 17:00

Visit www.crucial.com and let them determine how much RAM your version of Inspiron 11 3000 Series can handle. Most likely they will say 4 Gb. Yet, who knows what your PC can handle.

6 Posts

February 24th, 2014 08:00

Are you sure it was a low voltage Stick of ram. 1.35v is the max you can put in this laptop. You may also have gotten a bad stick. More likely its the first but try returning it and getting something different. 

No Events found!