Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2014 18:00

Inspiron 11 3000 series touchscreen

Inspiron 11 touch screen stops working intermittently. Need to restart it. It was upgraded to 8.1. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix?

1 Message

May 24th, 2014 03:00

I bought 3 of these for the family in March and all experience the same problem.  Anyone have an idea?

2 Posts

May 24th, 2014 11:00

I had my motherboard replaced. It was working fine, sometimes I lose touchscreen. I was very disapointed with support. I wanted to exchange it for different laptop (under 30 days). No, need to trouble shoot first or RMA. However my laptop wouldn't power on. Asked how can I remove my personal data if I can't operate. Supports reponse ....Crickets...

PS: The Tech who came out to replace motherboard mention problems with the touchscreen and replacing many motherboards. Twice I had called for support and was promise a follow up call within 24 hours, never happen. Good luck.:emotion-1:

June 8th, 2014 07:00

I am having this same issue with my new Inspiron 11 3000. Computer works fine, then the touchscreen stops working.The touchscreen will always start working again after reboot. I contacted Dell and they got on my laptop by remote and spent a couple of hours on drivers, bios, updates, etc. and said it should be fixed. Well, it didn't help at all. When I talked to them again, they said it must be a software problem. This will be the last Dell I buy.

1 Message

June 8th, 2014 09:00

I have an Inspiron 15 that loses its touchscreen often. I have to do a system restore. When it loses its touchscreen, the control panel says that I don't have a touchscreen. I have tried to figure out what I'm doing when this happens, but haven't been able to. It's so bad that I check it several times a day just to make sure it works. ANNOYING!!

1 Message

August 10th, 2014 11:00

Same issue with me on two Inspiron 11s. You can save yourself a reboot by going to device manager (devmgmt.msc), expanding "Human Interface Devices", removing "HID-Compliant touch screen" then choosing Action - Scan for hardware changes. Big pain, I know. Spent hours with tech support on my system. Then they sent someone out to replace the screen. Then did a depot repair for three whole weeks to replace the screen again. Then sent someone out to replace it a third time and the motherboard which didn't fix the problem and introduced new ones. So they finally sent me a refurb and, no surprise, same issue. I also did a clean install of Win 8.1 from scratch myself so that ruled out their factory image. Guess we just have to live with it.

1 Message

December 27th, 2014 07:00

I've had this ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>  thing for two days now, i just want it to work and it wont.  touchscreen stopped working on the first day i had it and the screen wont rotate at all.  apps wont work either.  i don't remember pc's being so much work to enjoy.  thinking maybe it needs the updates i let it spend one day downloading the updates but still, nothing works.  so i restore the laptop to factory and all seemed fine for about an hour until, while i was downloading the same updates again, everything stopped working again. its taking me so long just to get this ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>  computer working i wonder if its like a knock off or something.  Quite ridiculous.  hopefully i can send this thing back without having to show my ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 19:00

I cannot delete this post for some reason so just ignore this one. My other post has a possible answer. 

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 19:00

In Device Manager's Human Interface Device section, right-click USB Input Device. (If you find more than one of these, try each one.) SelectProperties. Click the Power Management tab. Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

That might solve your problem, but at a cost. Your computer will use more power, shortening battery life.

I tried this on my mother's dell inspiron 3000 11" and it worked like a charm. I just did it so I haven't seen an effect on battery yet. Good luck.

1 Message

March 9th, 2015 15:00

My Inspiron 15 worked for one week and then the touchscreen stopped working altogether.  I agree - this laptop is extremely annoying. I'll let you know if I ever get it working.  Right now it sits in a  drawer.

March 15th, 2015 15:00

This worked for me! I am now 100% satisfied with my Dell.

December 8th, 2015 07:00

Hey I'm having the same problem as well. When i go to the Human Interface Device section of the Device Manager, there is no USB Input Device Option. The options under the Human Interface Device Section are:

Airplane Mode Switch

Airplane Mode Switch Collection

HID-compliant touch pad

HID-compliant vendor-defined device

I2C HID Device

Microsoft Input Configuration Device

2 Posts

March 27th, 2016 15:00

Yup. I have a two month old Inspiron 11 and for some reason the touchscreen just stops working. If I restart the computer all is well but as a device that markets itself as a 2-in-1 it is a real pain. No idea how to fix and suspect there is a design flaw.

88 Posts

May 31st, 2016 13:00

I would not blame hardware I'd blame windows.  If you didn't upgrade to 10 yet may be worth a try.  It could also be a bios update that you haven't installed or just *** drivers. While dell may have their own drivers generally windows update tosses out your driver in favor of their own.  I run mine on AC most of the time, if you run yours on battery the above power saving option could be what's happening it happens a lot with many hardware configurations when power saver mode kicks in.

No Events found!