Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2015 01:00

Inspiron 11-3147 A09 bios update - slow post

Has anyone else noticed that after the A09 bios update to your 11-3147 it takes way longer to boot up? It takes on average 15 seconds of staring at the Dell logo before Windows 10 starts to boot. I installed an SSD drive once It gets to the point of the OS booting it's lightning fast...just the bios post seems exceptionally slow. I'll try reinstalling the previous bios to confirm. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen also. I also have an 11-3148 and there was a bios update for it on the same day. It didn't affect it's boot speed at all and in fact seemed to cure the "plugged in not charging" issue that it had.

December 22nd, 2015 16:00

I'm using a Samsung Evo 850 256Gb.

Here's an update to this strange story: Yesterday I reverted back to A07 bios. bios went in all fine but then can't boot into windows. It doesn't see my drive. it does in the bios but not during post apparently. All boot and drive settings look the same as they were before. Tried a repair install of 10 which actually worked for me this time (previously I've only had failures for some reason). It finishes and gives me a log file of the apps and such it killed in the process. Mostly just the Dell Apps which is no big deal. Rebooted and once again boot times are nice and speedy as I was hoping. And that's not all folks! To top it all off, it now sleeps properly instead of just shutting down like I was whining about in my last post. Bizarre to say the least. This was my last ditch effort. If this had failed I was going back to the dreaded 8.1. Used it all evening as I normally would and it's working flawlessly. Only thing I notice of any mention is the battery will not show 100% charge which is what the A09 bios update fixed. No biggie. It says 99% and I know it's fully charged. It really makes me wonder how much the guys at Dell check stuff out before it's released. Seems like every computer guy that's worked for my company is the same way....fix one bug but neglect to check if the fix affected anything else and walk away.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 12th, 2016 11:00

I spent over 5 hours with 3 different Dell techs trying to find a BIOS archive and was told by all of them that there was none available.  Today a new tech worked on it, and simultaneously a friend tracked down a source.  

Here is the URL for the list of all of the BIOS versions for the 3147 Inspiron, with their dates of release.  I just downgraded mine to A07 and it seems to work fine, although mine had to have been available prior to October, 2014, so the original was almost certainly A03 or lower.

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-11-3147-laptop.html

You may be able to figure out which one was your original based on date of purchase, particularly if you know you didn't upgrade since then.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2016 11:00

Guys, be careful with the above suggested answer. I rolled back to A07, and ended up with an inaccessible drive during boot, which I honestly didn't know how to fix. I ended up reinstalling Windows 10. The A07 firmware update does, indeed, work, but, like I said, look out for booting problems afterwards.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 13:00

I am using a factory installed HDD and Windows 8.1. After installing A09, the Dell logo stays about 10 second. I switch back to A07, and it is fast again.

By the way, what was your previous BIOS version and which SSD are you using?

1 Message

December 27th, 2015 05:00

thank you, thank you!  This has been driving me nuts since running Dell "system detect" and driver updates after the latest Window 10 update.  I know better, I never install a BIOS update without researching first, but that's what I get for being in a hurry.  :(   Losing Sleep mode on a tablet like this is very frustrating, and while changing the behavior of closing the lid to hibernate instead of sleep was a work-around, it still bugged me that I couldn't use sleep mode at all, because the dang thing wouldn't wake up!  (kinda like my middle son).

Thank you for saving me a call to Dell Support, that would NOT have gone well.  

I was able to skip the repair install by kicking it into Safe Mode when the first boot failed (same error, no boot device) but once it went into Safe Mode and I rebooted again, it came up perfectly.  So far, so good with waking from sleep as well.  :)

5 Posts

January 26th, 2016 19:00

Hello, everyone.

I have, indeed, noticed a much longer boot time. I figured out that it was a BIOS update because of how long the Dell logo stays without the Windows 10 wheel. Anyways, I'm reading that you actually have to revert back to A07 BIOS? You're even skipping A08? That's pretty crazy. I guess this really bothers me, but I can live it with it as long as I don't run into any other problems. Did anyone else notice other issues with A09 BIOS update? Ideally, Dell will fix this, but I'm not really counting on a quick fix any time soon. Your thoughts are deeply appreciated!

January 27th, 2016 00:00

Maybe I went back to A08 and not A07. I'll have to take a look and see. I just remember it was working fine then after that last bios update on December 15 which is A09 it got slow on boot like you're experiencing. Worked fine otherwise. My other computer which is the 11-3148, has had several bios revisions and all but the original release of A00 cause the battery plugged in not charging message. I just emailed Dell about it but since the 1 year warranty period is up they won't help me with it. Typical! At any rate it seems to be fine with the old bios so I'll just keep using it and try any new releases that come out. Not sure why I bought these things. I have to work on our fleet of Dells at work and they are a total hassle with regards to drivers. Well these were just the best bang for the buck that I could find. Work okay once the bugs are worked out.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 09:00

New A09 BIOS has been released yesterday.

Version number is still A09, but release date is 2/2/2016. Previous A09 was at 12/15/2015.

I hope this version really fixed the issue.

February 3rd, 2016 10:00

If you install it let me know how it works. They've released several new drivers lately too. I updated everything on my 3148 and was actually able to install Win10 1511 finally. Previously It would hang at post with that version which turned out to be the touchpad driver of all things.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 22:00

DO NOT install new A09. It makes same issue. I think new A09 (released 2/2/2016) is as same as old A09(released 12/15/2015)

5 Posts

February 4th, 2016 04:00

@JUSTICE37 That is correct. I still get the slow boot with the latest A9 BIOS update.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 9th, 2016 16:00

My start ups are a disaster since installing BIOS A09 yesterday.  (First BIOS change since purchased in Oct, 2014).  For the life of me I can't find where to download BIOS A08 despite following Dell's step by step instructions and searching Google for the specific BIOS.  Adding to the frustration is this statement from the Dell site:  "Dell has made downgrading the system BIOS as simple as downloading the BIOS version desired and following the onscreen installation wizard."

In step #4 I can't for the life of me find a pull down menu with BIOS category that lets me click other versions available.

1. Browse to the www.dell.com/support/drivers page.

2. If you are asked to "Identify your product", then either enter your Service tag, or select "Browse for a product" to select manually.

3. If the system shown is incorrect, click on "View a different product" and again either enter your Service tag or Browse manually.

4. If the correct system is already selected, then in the pull-down menus, choose the BIOS Category.

5. If a different version of the BIOS is required from the one shown, click Other versions available, a box will open below.

6. Select the required BIOS version then click Download File.

13 Posts

March 12th, 2016 06:00

I did a search for "dell 3147A08 .exe" but didn't find anything. Found A07, A05, 01 and 00. How can I tell what I had before?

I have a similar issue with the new A09 update. Since updating 2-3 days ago, when I close the top and then open it won't wake up. Have to shut down and start up again. Dell support was no help, they wanted money to fix what they did to my computer.

13 Posts

March 12th, 2016 14:00

dbahn, thanks for the link, that's great! I'll try A07 and hopefully it will fix me up.

13 Posts

March 12th, 2016 15:00

miracle of miracles!!! I went back to A07 and my restart issue is gone!

No Events found!