Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2015 01:00

Inspiron 11-3147 A09 bios update - slow post

Has anyone else noticed that after the A09 bios update to your 11-3147 it takes way longer to boot up? It takes on average 15 seconds of staring at the Dell logo before Windows 10 starts to boot. I installed an SSD drive once It gets to the point of the OS booting it's lightning fast...just the bios post seems exceptionally slow. I'll try reinstalling the previous bios to confirm. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen also. I also have an 11-3148 and there was a bios update for it on the same day. It didn't affect it's boot speed at all and in fact seemed to cure the "plugged in not charging" issue that it had.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 15th, 2016 11:00

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that any time you make changes to the BIOS you are at risk for other problems.  In my case it was done under warranty and by the Dell technician remotely.  I was all but committed to sending the computer back to Dell to repair it there.

13 Posts

March 15th, 2016 13:00

It's working great for me, but I'm not on Windows 10 and don't plan to ever be, unless I'm forced. I tried it, but didn't like it, so went back to 8.1. I actually bought a new desktop last fall (2015) with Windows 7 professional.

I do get the (plugged in, not charging) message, but have never had any issue with not having enough charge.

March 18th, 2016 11:00

Hey, folks. I reverted to A07, and got an unrecognized BOOT device error, as reported above. There's a simple fix: boot Windows into Safe mode, then restart. See this video for details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2AW4WAfiA

And yes, for the record, I am very upset (foul language seems far more fitting) with what A09 did to my system: slow boots, sleep mode gone, and for extra credit, a computer that becomes unresponsive (shuts off) after sitting idle.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 18th, 2016 13:00

For what it's worth, we tried that without success, although I'm using w 8.1.

13 Posts

March 18th, 2016 22:00

so, now I'm getting another bios upgrade notice...

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 19th, 2016 05:00

So, now you know what not to do with it . . . 

Does this process have anything to do with Support Assist?

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 19th, 2016 09:00

My understanding is that they were minor bugs, one of them being the indication of power supply.  With downgrading to A07 I get the notice that the power adapter needs to be connected (although it clearly already is) but closing that window each time is a small price to pay to avoid the headaches of A09.

For what it's worth, we tried that without success, although I'm using w 8.1.

Yes, the video does seem to imply using Safe Mode to get out of the unrecognized BOOT device error is a Windows 10 thing,...

"so, now I'm getting another bios upgrade notice..."

so, now you get to ignore it. ;-)

Let's hope A10 gets it right, or better yet, can someone explain why we needed A09 in the first place? My little laptop seems to work just fine without it.

13 Posts

March 19th, 2016 11:00

The problem I am having with A07 is the (plugged in, not charging) I'm down to 85%. Guess I could update the bios, get charged, then go back to A07, it's not that hard, but a pain. Any fixes for not charging?

6 Posts

March 19th, 2016 16:00

Hello, all.  I don't often post on forums, but this question seems indicative of so many ongoing issues with Dell drivers, and the push to Win 10 seems to be exacerbating the problems we're experiencing.  I've been around and around with Dell and Windows updates that create unexpected problems on the 3147 and other PCs I maintain for family & friends. I'd like to offer a few suggestions, in hope of being helpful!

1. Dell and others are infamous for apparently inadequately tested driver releases, and who knows what goes on in Windows updates?!  Instead of letting Dell or Windows update my PC I always wait a while and then research any problems the early adopters have reported. (Note the multiple release dates for the same version of some updates!)  After the dust settles I download and archive the updates on an external drive, in case I ever want to roll back to a previous version. Then I install them offline myself, one at a time, so I can isolate any problematic updates. In any case, I'm always slow to update drivers and especially BIOS if what I already have is working well, especially if they don't say what they are intended to fix or improve!

2. The "Plugged in, not charging" problem has been around since the 3147 came out, and in other models too.  It comes and goes with updates that either help (hide?) it or inadvertantly bring it back. From what I've read, your battery may in fact be fully charging, although it doesn't report 100% after dell bios update (and maybe Win8/10) "fixed" things again. One non-tech way to check is if you already know how long your battery should last on a full charge. Compare that to how long it lasts now that it's apparently only charging to 85%. That assumes that you use it the same way in both cases, but you can get a rough idea.

3. Also, I think I read recently that some of the power settings have been tweaked with recent Win 8/10 and Dell updates. If so, that may have upset real vs. reported battery charging. On my older 15" Dell laptop running Win 7 I can set max battery charge to 90% when I'm using it plugged in all the time, or to 100% when I want to use it on battery. Supposedly setting it to charge 100% all the time wears out the battery faster. Myth or fact? I don't know.

4. I don't recommend repeatedly going back and forth between versions of BIOS. Every time you flash the BIOS you run a small but real risk of bricking your PC if something goes wrong in the process. In general, don't mess with what's working, or a bad "update" may make it worse. 

With all the above in mind, until more of the bugs get shaken out I've elected NOT to download or update to A09 at this time, and for the same reason I've also elected NOT to install Win 10 in its current state (IMO still half-baked, not ready for general distribution onto such a large variety of hardware configurations; hence the need for Dell's updates to make it work on Dell-specific hardware). Taken together, the recent Dell updates and Win 10 are creating more new problems than I'm willing to put up with, especially after the hardware issues I've had with three 3147's. It's my opinion that recent Dell updates, Win10, and the 3147 model were all inadequately tested before offering them to the general public. For now at least, that's a Trifecta of troubles I'll observe at a distance!

5. Finally, I recommend visiting the Dell 11 3147 Owner's Thread on NotebookReview.com, which has a wealth of 3147 owners' questions, answers, helpful suggestions, and reports of fixes that actually work.

(end of rant)

March 20th, 2016 23:00

Finally, I recommend visiting the Dell 11 3147 Owner's Thread on NotebookReview.com, which has a wealth of 3147 owners' questions, answers, helpful suggestions, and reports of fixes that actually work.

Any chance you could post that link here for future reference? Thanks!

13 Posts

March 21st, 2016 07:00

My computer got down to about 83%, then I unplugged it a took it to a meeting, didn't use it, but it was unplugged for a couple hours. After that it charged up. Maybe just unplug for a couple hours and/or just use unplugged for a while.

13 Posts

March 26th, 2016 21:00

Wish I would have read this, had a windows 10 freezing problem and read it could have been a bios issue, ok updated bios to A09 for 3147 then it got worse, crashed several times and would not sleep. Its Easter, March 26th and Dell has been told since Feb that the A09 does not work, why have it out still? I'm trying to fix a no boot device found now and its not an SSD drive but a 500 gig HD
No Events found!