Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2011 05:00

Inspiron 1150 Memory Upgrade in India

Hi,

I have an old Inspiron 1150 (bought in US in 2004) which has 512MB of RAM. I would like to upgrade it to 1GB or 2GB. I am in India. I searched Dell India website to buy the RAM modules however I could not find it. Can somebody guide me in this regard?

Thanks in Advance!

-Nitin.

297 Posts

March 5th, 2011 07:00

With old laptops it is always best to put the max amount of Ram in to get the most out of the remaining life. XP SP3 does not really run well unless it has 1GB of Ram and 2GB is better. Especially if some of the Ram is allocated to or shared with the video card. So put in 2GB of Ram.

If you go to crucial.com and put in your model it will tell you the memory spec. And give you a benchmark price. You should confirm for yourself but in this case it says. DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 SODIMM.

However be aware that there are issues with these sort SODIMMs in that it is quite likely you  need  "low density" SODIMMs from a reputable make. As distinct from "high density". And there are Chinese counterfeits out there. Which ones are low density is sometimes a bit hard to determine. Counting the chips is not the way as suggested elsewhere on this forum. So make sure you get a reputable make and make sure the seller / maker says they are "low density". And best of all make sure the vendor guarantees compatibility with your system.

That said, in this case, the Crucial spec might mean that the originals are PC2100 and PC2700 will work as they are backwards compatible. This might be true if both modules installed are PC2700. However If you leave one of the original modules in the system and it is PC2100 then it may not work. If you look at one of your existing SODIMMs it should have label on saying if it is PC2100.

I have no idea where to get memory in India, but I know of no reason why good product would be any less availaible than anywhere else. And likley cheaper as well.

A tip here. Apple iMac and Powerbook of this vintage will only run on low density so if the modules you buy are guaranteed to work in a Mac they will work in your Dell. By that I mean PC2700 SODIMMs.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 5th, 2011 07:00

You need standard, PC2100 or PC2700, DDR-soDIMMs.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2011 08:00

Thanks Enceladus! Appreciate your quick and detailed response. Good point about the density. I then asked few hardware guys, searched on the net and finally have ordered 2 x 1GB DDR PC2700 RAM of Hynix Strontium make from eBay. I am told that these RAMs work in Inspiron 1150. Hoping for the best!

Thanks again!

-Nitin

297 Posts

March 5th, 2011 16:00

Please post up a link or the EBay item number you purchased.

Hynix is fine, I just never heard of it in conjunction with "Strontium". Might be a brand name in India.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2011 20:00

Hi,

This is the link - http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400199112097 Please note that this is ebay.in (India) and not ebay.com (US).

I am also not sure about Hynix + Strontium combo. Strontium has a website: www.strontium.biz

-Nitin.

No Events found!