Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2016 21:00

Inspiron 13-5323 will not boot after new hard drive installed

Dropped my Inspiron and the Geek Squad said it needed a new hard drive.  I installed a new WD Blue identical to the old one myself.  When turned on, the computer immediately goes to "Phoenix Securecore Tiano Setup."  The preboot tests indicate the new hard drive is functioning okay.  I've tried to boot in the secure UEFI mode, and in the Legacy boot mode, but neither boot up.  I get a message that "Operation System Not Found."  It's my understanding this computer has the OS embedded on the motherboard.  I had previously upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to 10.  When I tried booting in Safe Mode using F8, I got the same OS not found message.  The F2 and F4 keys upon start up don't do anything different, either.  Am I missing a step while in the Phoenix setup window?  Any suggestions while in the Phoenix window that might get me closer to booting up would be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 8th, 2016 05:00

Have you in fact reloaded the operating system?  If not, the new drive is blank -- which is why you're seeing the message you see.

You'll need the set of recovery media you made when you received the system - or, if you didn't prepare a set, you'll need to call Dell to purchase a flash drive with the media now.  The alternative is to download Windows 10 TH2 of the same version (standard, pro) that was installed and activated earlier.  You can then reload the OS.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 8th, 2016 13:00

See below (you'll need a blank flash drive of 16G or larger to host the install image):

< >

Also be sure the version of 10 you download matches the version of 8 you had (i.e., non-Pro to non-Pro, Pro to Pro, etc.).

April 8th, 2016 09:00

Thanks EJN63 for your response.  It's frustrating when hard drive sales people say the OS is embedded on the motherboard when it apparently is not.  No, I didn't make a set of recovery media.  When you say an alternative is to download Windows 10 TH2, I went to the Windows store website but can't find such a download. 

April 9th, 2016 11:00

EJN63, it worked!  After some fiddling on the Phoenix Securecore Tiano Setup window and changing the boot mode to Legacy, the download you suggested loaded up without a problem.  Thanks so much for the help.  Illinichip

No Events found!