Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 13 5378 [i5 version] - Noisy fan and heating

Am I the only one noticing a really noisy fan and a tremendous heating of the rear part, especially when using it on the lap/couch?

I know you're supposed to always put it on a flat surface, but it's a 2in1...The noise, especially, is sometimes almost unbearable, even on a light workload like browsing the internet or watching a movie.

Asked on other forums, it seems like a common issue. Do you think it's a defect, will Dell fix it ot am I supposed to just deal with it? I updated the BIOS to the last version available, but it doesn't seem to help.

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

January 11th, 2017 08:00

Hi baronebarra,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please run the diagnostics and capture any error codes or message you get.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

1 Message

July 2nd, 2017 10:00

Hi there,

Did you ever manage to find a fix to your issue? Cause mine appears to be doing the same..?

15 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 02:00

Ehi ryang99,

unfortunately no.

The fan is still noisy: a bit less when the laptop is placed on a desk or flat surface, very much so when on a couch or a different surface.  

It's a tad annoying, and I'm actually thinking about giving it in for warranty because of some other issues I'm having at the same time.

September 3rd, 2017 08:00

Hello,

Am facing a similar problem. The laptop fans comes up and then it goes to sleep. Somehow this is happening more frequently now.

Any help or advise please.

1 Message

September 13th, 2017 21:00

I have the same issue.  Fan gets loud and laptop goes to sleep.  I have it on a hard surface with the keyboard down so that it's acting as an additional screen with my external monitors.  I bought this machine at the Microsoft store and already returned it once.  The technician there did something with the graphics driver and it stayed out of sleep mode for  about a week, but now it's gong to sleep even more often.  And when I reboot, it may not start completely. It goes to sleep halfway through the boot cycle.  

1 Message

September 24th, 2017 22:00

I purchased this laptop yesterday, same problem. fan is very noisy. Is there any solution

15 Posts

October 12th, 2017 03:00

It sure seems like a lot of us are having similar issues, I keep getting new notifications for this post...

As the OP, I feel it's my responsibility to ask for some guidance for the company representatives that are on this forum. Maybe @DELL-Akshatha M?

Is the company willing to admit that this model was somewhat faulty?

How should we proceed?

It's sad because I like a lot of things about this laptop, but it seems that something went wrong with its design and production...

October 12th, 2017 03:00

I am also facing same issue, even after change of mother board , heat sink, fan .. all 2-3 times changed..on heavy usage (run you tube , some compiler and few web pages) and temp goes upto 90+ degree C....Looks like no proper air intake ,air vent designed for this model..or  heat sink is small .. or supplied thermal paste quality is bad.

I see new inspiron-13-7378-2-in-1-laptop models already have air vents on back cover..which was not there in 5378...

1 Message

November 1st, 2017 15:00

After a week's use of my laptop it gets very noisy and hot after a short while with very few apps running.

What can I do? Thanks

No Events found!