Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 1st, 2014 16:00

Inspiron 13 7000 7347 - AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

Hi guys,

Brand new Inspiron 13 7000 (7347)  2 in 1.  Its just out of the box, and I'm just finishing windows updates and Dell Drivers.

I seem to be getting this error message when I boot up, maybe 10-15 % of the time

"AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined"

As with others, Press F1 to continue, F2 to check Bios, F3 to ignore this.

In bios I see    I unplug and replug the power supply and it magically comes back as <65 watts>

When this issue is occuring, the battery won't charge, it held at 91%.  I also got the warning in Windows one time.

Should I take it back to the store?  Is this just the power supply, or the laptop itself ?

Thanks,

G.

5.2K Posts

December 1st, 2014 19:00

Sometimes this is due to a poor connection of the charger signal wire, the thin wire seen in the center of the DC plug. Make sure this isn't damaged. Regardless you should take it back to the store. However, if it doesn't show the problem at the store, be prepared to stand your ground!!!!!

1 Message

December 6th, 2014 19:00

I'm having the same problem.  Out of nowhere, this "AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.  Please check your adapter....."  I unplug it, plug it back in and it's fine for an hour or so, then it appears again.  

ALSO having issues with it randomly disconnecting from wifi, usually right in the middle of me filling an order, running a mailing label or attempting to answer an email.  This is more than frustrating.  I wouldn't have dropped so much money for this laptop unless it was absolutely necessary to have a new one, and these issues sure don't make me feel any better about my purchase.

I have a strange feeling it's that subpar McAfee antivirus, but if I'm going to have to send this thing back, I don't want to go to the trouble of uninstalling it and then having to reinstall prior to return.  

Cls

1 Message

December 6th, 2014 20:00

I am having the exact same issue on my 7347 right out of the box. It shows that is charged to 20% and holds. It says that it is not charging.

Has there been an unpublished BIOS update. 

This is my 2nd system in a month. The 1st one had a pulsing problem right out of the box, and now this is not usuable for the road.  What gives. I have never had this kind of issue with Dell.

Thanks

DCN

5 Posts

December 8th, 2014 15:00

I returned my original device.  At the Microsoft Store, the technician suggested that the problem was related to the actual Power Supply, and note the laptop / mobo itself.  I did not want to try and prove his theory correct, any out of box problem is an out of box failure.  Fortunately they did not have any spare power supplies so I was given a new unit.

However, I someone had a 2nd power supply that was compatible, they could check it against the laptop/mobo fairly easily.

Knock on wood, but no problems so far.

5 Posts

December 29th, 2014 11:00

Well, I have seen the issue with my second device.  It is not coming up nearly as much as the first, but then I have not been straining it on battery much either.

I also saw this occur on a demo unit in the store, so I'm pretty sure its not isolated.

It looks like Dell release not 1 but 2 BIOS updates on the same day December 17th.  It sounds as though A03 might correct this issue or at least improve it..  Can anyone confirm?

Version A02, A02

Fixes & Enhancements

- Improve display experience

- Support Dell Power Companion

Version A03, A03

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes

-1.Improved Adapter warning message behavior.

-2.Improved Ambient Light Sensor control backlight keyboard behavior

5 Posts

December 30th, 2014 09:00

Well, the new device continues to have this problem as well.  I also tested a 3rd demo unit in the store, and it too had the same issue, so this suggests its not a limited problem.

I find this will usually only occur if I plug the power connector in very slowly.  This sounds kind of odd, but if your in the BIOS, and you fist attach the physical plug, but not insert it all the way, then take your time to insert it the remainder of the way it will come up as Unknown instead of 65 Watt.

It looks like there's an A02 and an A03 BIOS update as well, but little release notes for it.  I tried the A03 Bios, but found it did not correct the issues as I described above.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2015 03:00

I also have this problem, which started appearing within the last couple of weeks  - any idea what's going on? Is there an update fix? 

1 Message

January 24th, 2015 20:00

I have an Inspiron 1545. THis problem just started. Have tried everything. Any fixed?

No Events found!