Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2015 16:00

Inspiron 13 had Boot error 0xc000000d from c:\BCD and unable to restore to factory default win 8 image

Hi,

my system Inspiron 13 died with the error message for missing boot information from c:\BCD file and i ordered a dell recovery USB. it did not boot with it and then i downloaded win 8 as described by dell support page from microsoft.com, now it boots to USB but does not install as it has GPT partitions. i accidentally formatted C: drive but i can see other recovery partitions on the system, kind of hidden partitions. I need a USB boot able USB utility that i can boot from and restore original image from one of the hidden partition on the system. if anyone can send me the direction from command line how to run it will be great along with the USB boot utility please.

1.2K Posts

October 28th, 2015 22:00

Hi,

Given in this sistuation the boot configuration data file is missing because of which we are facing this issue. I would ask you to confirm if you have tried these steps,

*Try if you can get to Refresh your PC.

*If the above step fails then try system restore ,to use system restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart the computer, select the operating system, and then select system restore.

*You can also try Automatic Repair try the below mentioned steps for automatic repair.

a)Boot into windows 8 disc.

b)Once selecting your language, time and keyboard settings, click Next to load the next window, then click on the Repair your computer link on the bottom left corner of the window.

c)You should then be presented with a Choose an Option screen, with Troubleshoot as an option to select.

d)In the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced options.

e)Select Automatic Repair from the Advanced options screen and then select the target operating system to repair, which would be Windows 8 in this case.

I hope this information helps but if there are any other queries do reply to this post along with the service tag of the system sent via private message.

Kind Regards,

5 Posts

October 29th, 2015 07:00

Hi Jen, thanks for the response,

it does not have any OS on the C: drive anymore i formatted while trying to install win 8 from USB but Microsoft Win 8 did not install because it did not recognize the drive and its space about 560 GB that i could see in the screen. the only option i can see is to boot with a USB that can recognize the partitions (all including hidden) and restore it from one partition labeled as Recovery. if that had a good recovery data, it does have over 8 GB used space. i think the GPT partition ad UEFI bios need a special utility to restore from command prompt with USB boot. it is stucked on PXE boot right now, unless booted from Microsoft win 8 USB with Legacy boot on or off.

1.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 20:00

Hi Mhameed,

I would ask you to check the steps listed in this article and advise the result.

Regards,

5 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 21:00

Here is the solution:

I got the solution, switch BIOS to Legacy boot, create a recovery USB disk from any Dell system with the same OS, from Control Panel,  Boot the system and select back up and restore. since all dell systems have a hidden partition with restore files, so it worked like a charm, after completion switch back to UEFI BIOS to run Windows what ever you have restored on the restored partition. 

Thanks for your hlep

1.2K Posts

November 4th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

Glad the issue is sorted! Also thank you for sharing the solution .

Regards,

No Events found!