Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2011 19:00

Inspiron 1318 Keyboard issue

This started happening a couple of days ago, and I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or if I hit a combination of keys to make it do this:

My right arrow, instead of moving the cursor to the right, moves it to the right and down a line. So in Excel, I use my right arrow and it moves diagonally down the worksheet. Anybody know how I can fix this? Many thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 14th, 2011 09:00

The following link may prove to be helpful.  It details shortcut and function keys in Excel. 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-shortcut-and-function-keys-HP010073848.aspx

Here are specifics for the arrow keys.

ARROW KEYS

Move one cell up, down, left, or right in a worksheet.

CTRL+ARROW KEY moves to the edge of the current data region (data region: A range of cells that contains data and that is bounded by empty cells or datasheet borders.) in a worksheet.

SHIFT+ARROW KEY extends the selection of cells by one cell.

CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW KEY extends the selection of cells to the last nonblank cell in the same column or row as the active cell, or if the next cell is blank, extends the selection to the next nonblank cell.

LEFT ARROW or RIGHT ARROW selects the tab to the left or right when the Ribbon is selected. When a submenu is open or selected, these arrow keys switch between the main menu and the submenu. When a Ribbon tab is selected, these keys navigate the tab buttons.

DOWN ARROW or UP ARROW selects the next or previous command when a menu or submenu is open. When a Ribbon tab is selected, these keys navigate up or down the tab group.

In a dialog box, arrow keys move between options in an open drop-down list, or between options in a group of options.

DOWN ARROW or ALT+DOWN ARROW opens a selected drop-down list.

TB

2 Posts

February 14th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't happen just in Excel. That was an example. I'll be surfing or playing a game online, and when I use my right arrow, the same thing happens: it moves down and to the right. It happens in Word as well. I think it's more of a hardware issue (or universal setting issue) than a software issue.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 14th, 2011 10:00

Try an external keyboard.  If the arrow keys on the external keyboard work alright then you will likely need a service.  If however the arrows perform the same way in either keyboard then this will be some type of software issue. 

No Events found!