Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2016 18:00

Inspiron 14 3452: Can't install Windows 10

First off, this laptop is an absolute joke and I can't even believe Dell would release something like this.  Soldered eMMC with barely enough space to even run Windows?  Genius.  Slot for a harddrive but it's only for show since you can't even add another drive?  Even better.

My brother in law bought this sad excuse for a laptop and gave it to me because out of the box it's not even usable.  I formatted the entire drive with the hopes of installing Windows 10 on it again and just using a 64GB SD card for actual programs since that's all that would even fit on the built in drive.

Now when I get to the Windows set up, I can see the drive in there but it won't let me install it.  It keeps telling me to check the BIOS and make sure the controller is enabled but there is nothing in there to even indicate a drive controller.  I reset the BIOS to defaults, updated it to the latest version, nothing makes a difference.  Every time I try to piuck the drive to install to, it tells me "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the controller is enabled in the BIOS".

How can I make piece of garbage accept the Windows 10 install?

2 Posts

August 24th, 2016 09:00

Old post, however I thought I would reply so people like me who stumble across it can find the answer.

Make sure the USB stick with windows on it is created as a GPT UEFI  drive. Works like a charm.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-installation

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2016 16:00

:emotion-2:

Please click on the link below, hopefully the thread help.

en.community.dell.com/.../19662726

3 Posts

January 18th, 2016 19:00

Yeah, but my problem is once I boot off my flash drive to install Windows again, it tells me it can't install it on the internal eMMC because the controller isn't enabled in the BIOS.  There is no setting for this anywhere, so I'm stuck at the point after I boot off the flash drive.  That thread basically outlines exactly what I did.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 18th, 2016 19:00

According to Dell, for your laptop, if the original OS was 32-bit, upgrade to Windows 10 is not supported.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297954/EN#Inspiron-NB

3 Posts

January 18th, 2016 20:00

It came with Windows 10 Home though.  I'm trying a fresh install via the flash drive.  It really seems like a BIOS setting issue but since resetting to defaults doens't even work I don't know what else to try.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 19th, 2016 06:00

You might want to try Googling and also posting your question on the Mobile Devices forum.

November 21st, 2016 11:00

Click on the link below and follow the process.

Make sure you provide the Tag No. of your laptop which is printed and stuck under your laptop.

let is detect your PC and then download Dell system detect which will ask you for Destination to save the iso file.

Now after downloading just make it bootable using rufus or any other software and then run it.

it'll work for you thank you.

www.dell.com/.../win

November 21st, 2016 11:00

Hi friend i went to Dell website and i did it. Try the link below

www.dell.com/.../win

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 27th, 2016 06:00

I've had the same issue. The solution is to create bootable Windows 10 with Rufus utility with correct settings. Partition scheme must be GPT for UEFI and File System must be FAT32. In the BIOS settings enable UEFI. No need to legacy support option. During boot process, hit F12 and choose your usb stick. Then you will be able to install Windows onto eMMC flash in UEFI mode.
In order to reclaim 450 MB of space that System Recovery Partition takes if you let Windows auto partition the drive, you have to manually create partitions in diskpart. Commands are as following:

select disk 0
clean
select disk 0
convert gpt
create partition efi size=100
format fs=fat32 quick
create partition msr size=16
exit
setup.exe (to get back into installing Windows 10)

April 27th, 2017 07:00

This dude Owned!!! after 3 days this solve the issue

1 Message

July 4th, 2017 14:00

I registered to this site just to tell you how much I appreciate the solution u drop on this site for us, God bless you bro, really works like charm.

No Events found!