Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2009 10:00

Inspiron 1420 - Windows 7, SigmaTel Audio

Model: Inspiron 1420
Driver: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Hi. I recently upgraded my Inspiron 1420 from Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit). The upgrade was very successful with the exception of audio problems.

The problem is very strange, at least to me. I have three audio ports in the front (two headphones and one microphone). Both of the headphones work fine, but the microphonoe port doesn't work anymore. This problem came about after my Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade. It did not happen when I was still on Windows Vista Home Premium. I really don't know what the problem is. It seems that the audio cuts off when I try to go into the "Recording devices" selection when I right-click on the volume icon on my taskbar. The audio cuts off.

An example error message would be when I choose Recording devices while my Windows Media Player is running (playing music, too, of course), I would get this message: "An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again."
Other audio problems would be video games such as Counter-Strike (for those who are familiar with this game). I would start the game, but there would be no sound. I minimize and there's still no sound. It's only when I exit the game that my audio would return.

Again, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. Maybe my model (Inspiron 1420) does not support Windows 7 Ultimate? Are there driver updates for my SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC driver?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Khoi

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 11:00

Since you went from Home Premium to Ultimate you had to do a reinstall (you can't just upgrade).  With a "new" install you have to install all the drivers (Win 7 may install some) but you must also install any chipset drivers before installing device drivers or the devices will either not install or not install correctly.

There two chipset drivers listed on the downloads page for Vista 32 bit and they should work on Win 7 32 bit (regardless of Version).  There is also a SigmaTel driver on the downloads.  Download and install the two chipset drivers and then the Sigma Tel and see if that corrects the problem.

Dell Downloads

1 Message

February 15th, 2012 12:00

yes tanks

2 Posts

December 18th, 2012 12:00

Hello all,

Even I have the same problem. Yesterday I format my Inspiron 1420 and re-installed fresh from Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). The upgrade was successful but no Audio. Headphones works fine. Can you please help?

Thank you so much in advance.

JD

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 18th, 2012 16:00

Try installing the Sigmatel HD audio driver. There is not one for Windows 7 so you must use the Vista version and install using Vista compatibility mode.
Download the Sigmatel R171786 driver package. Extract the files (unzip or unpack) but cancel the installation process. Go to the hard drive to
c:\Dell\Drivers\R171786. Right click on setup.exe and select Properties. Find the compatibility tab to select Vista.

If the speakers still do not work after installing the Sigmatel driver, see section 1 of the Headphone Jack FAQ.

1 Message

July 6th, 2014 06:00

I searched high and low for days! This was the solution and I am so grateful. I had no sound after upgrading Vista to Win7--did the drivers over and over, nothing. If you do the chipsets, then the drivers--magic happens! Never so happy to hear the Windows sound!!

Thank you so much!!:emotion-5:

1 Message

September 22nd, 2014 09:00

Try this, it worked for me:

download the audio driver from dell website and extract it, go to device manager, right click the audio driver and chose update driver and chose the location where you extracted the files.

Good luck.

2 Posts

June 1st, 2015 10:00

Install the R171786 under Vista compatibility mode solved my problem.

Thanks a lot!

2 Posts

June 1st, 2015 11:00

I thought that Installing the R171786 under Vista compatibility mode would solve my problem but it did not.

I then found out that the driver has a wrong sense about the jack. It thinks that a 3.5mm jack is inserted into the left most port of the front panel. To make the whole thing work, I have to do bellow things:

insert the 3.5mm in the left most port. A jack dialog would be displayed. Now, try to insert/remove/jerk the jack until the left most port is cleared from green check or yellow question.

Hope this would help others.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 1st, 2015 13:00

then found out that the driver has a wrong sense about the jack. It thinks that a 3.5mm jack is inserted into the left most port of the front panel. To make the whole thing work, I have to do bellow things:

insert the 3.5mm in the left most port. A jack dialog would be displayed. Now, try to insert/remove/jerk the jack until the left most port is cleared from green check or yellow question.

Hello. It is not the audio driver that is causing that problem. Your laptop seems to be showing the symptoms of sense pin failure. See the 1st section of the Headphone Jack FAQ for an explanation.

No Events found!