Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2010 23:00

Inspiron 1464 -- BIOS wont boot!

I was installing drivers from Dell site and then I tried to install the BIOS update for my Dell Inspiron 1464 Core i3 2.13 GHz with ATI Radion 512mb card.

All procedures (except the last one) including backing up old BIOS were completed and when it went on the last one (writing the new BIOS) everything freezed. I let the laptop be for sometime but nothing happened. I let it as it was for over 4 hours but it was still froze. So I did a power button reset and now the machine wont load the BIOS.

I bought it yesterday. What do you think is the solution? Is it covered under warranty? If not, is there any way I could try reinstalling the BIOS?

14.4K Posts

March 14th, 2010 07:00

the only solution is to replace the motherboard. IT should be covered under warranty.  Once a bios flash goes bad and especially on a laptop the motherboard will need to be replaced. 

You need to call Dell or whoever you purchased the system from. Note also that if you have not registered your system the Dell data base will not recognize your service tag and then once you do register it, it can take 5-7 days to be posted. I mention this as if you call Dell they may not have your service tag number in their system.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2010 16:00

Related Forum on this: HELP!!! Laptop gone dead while running BIOS update.

I REGRET FOLLOWING DELL'S Instruction on updating the BIOS.  It killed my LapTop.

Re: HELP!!! Laptop gone dead while running BIOS update 28 Mar 2010 04:28PM

Same thing happened to my Dell Inpirion 1464 Laptop today when running the BIOS update.  I bought this Laptop on Friday 26 Mar 10 and it was working flawless until I decided to download the (RECOMMENDED BIOS update 1464_A06.exe from Dell Support Website).  I followed their instructions exactly and Laptop completely locked up midway during the BIOS utility update.  I could not close the program with any commands like Cntrl, Shift, Escape.  I called Dell Support and the online tech instructed me to turn off computer with power button--IT DIDN'T WORK.   Next he instructed to hold power button down for a least 10 seconds--IT DIDN'T WORK.  Told me to remove battery and it sitll didn't shut off.  Finally told me to remove A/C power cord and of course it shut down.  Tried to power up laptop afterwards to no avail with online Tech Assist.  Laptop has black screen and only the LED power button indicator is steady white.

Call Dell Support.  They're in process of sending me the shipping materials so I can send Laptop back to factory.  If its hardware your covered by 1 year warranty.

Good Luck/Rob

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 16th, 2011 11:00

the very same thing happened with my 1464... and its not even under warranty ... ibut i think the hardware is fine.. its just the bios software to be reloaded/ upgraded again... need help!!!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 16th, 2011 11:00

Try www.aqstech.com -- they can unsolder the BIOS chip, flash it externally and resolder it.  The cost should be around $100 -- far less than a replacement mainboard.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 19th, 2011 11:00

Can anyone send me a inspiron 1464's bios backup file??? you can find it by running dell's shared file '1464A13_win.exe' ... there is a option for backing up the file...

< ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

No Events found!