Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2010 01:00

Inspiron 1464 (i3-250GB HDD-2GB RAM - Feb2010) No Temperature Readings available for CPU

Hi,

I have been using a Dell Inspiron 1464 with (i3, 2GB RAM and 250HDD) since Feb 2010. What I have noticed is that whether I use Linux or Windows, and whichever utility or tool (on either operating system) I use to read the CPU temperature - they all are unable to read the temperature.

Can anyone let me know (specifically those who are using this model) if they have tried reading the CPU temperature (either while running any Linux Flavor or Windows 7) and if yes, which utility/application have you used. I have observed that sometimes (very occasional) my CPU heats up even when the load factors are pretty low. To keep a tab on such behavior I wanted to know the Fan Speeds, temperature (CPU and HDD) and/or CPU state info.

Is it possible that this hardware (on 1464) doesn't support temperature sensors? Any suggestions would be really helpful for me.

-

Shrey

3 Posts

December 24th, 2010 02:00

You may find this helpful: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Be prepared to be surprised when you see the CPU temperatures. 

6 Posts

December 30th, 2010 09:00

Well, I am certainly surprised. Because, there is nothing to be read from the tools output. It simply returns a empty window.

What does that prove? That DELL forgot to add sensors into my laptop or that because I got a good deal (price wise), I am not really allowed to have sensors onboard? Even the DELL engineers at the DELL store know nothing about it - in fact they don't even have tools to read temperature sensors. Amazing!!

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 22:00

That's odd. I have a 1464, i3, 4 GB RAM etc etc. and I get temperature readings for both my CPU cores, and assembly etc and this is what I get:

Its about 8 degrees celsius in my room at Kanpur right now and so the CPU temperature seems to be under control, in the mid 40s.

The moment I start using YouTube, the CPU temperatures go as high as 89 degrees celsius, I'm guessing the same happens to your laptop too.

I was hoping you'd confirm what I see on my system. But at least you don't have a defective screen, touchpad, webcam, wireless adapter and noisy hardisk (so far).

Good luck finding those sensors.

6 Posts

February 18th, 2011 05:00

Very recently got my motherboard replaced after it started rebooting very very frequently. Now, the motherboard temperature sensors are visible - proving that for over last one year I had been using a faulty motherboard. Best part being that I had already raised this issue and showed the Dell Service Center people that motherboard was indeed faulty - but they were never able to confirm the fault through their 'tools'. I was lucky enough to get the replacement done just a week before the laptop warranty was about to expire.

Having got the warranty extended, that the overall cost of the laptop is indeed turning out to be much higher than what I thought. And taking the extra warranty was almost forced on me given that almost every part of my laptop has been changed since I purchased it one year back - 5 rounds of service center submissions, change of CD ROM, 3 times Power Adaptor, Motherboard, - just the LCD is left. At least I have decided - no more Dell from now on for me.

No Events found!