Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2013 07:00

Inspiron 14R Touch - Display remains dead

I very recently bought this laptop. The power scheme by default is Dell. The display many times does not come up again if it is shut by the power
scheme or the laptop goes to sleep mode as per the power scheme. No key stroke, mouse movement or anything works. The power button / wireless indicators keep blinking/on but the display remains dead. I have to force shut the laptop and restart. Need help

1.5K Posts

July 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi tktosh,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and tap 3-4 times to enter the Boot Menu.
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter.
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display.
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

You may run LCD diagnostics on the system to check if there is any issue with the LCD of the system. Follow the steps below to perform LCD diagnostics:

• Turn off the system
  • Press and hold down ‘D’ key on the keyboard while system is off
  • Now press the power button while holding down the ‘D’ key

If you get the solid colors flashing on the screen, LCD is working fine. Otherwise, the issue is with the LCD and it is needed to be replaced.

You may update the system BIOS. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/1b6Y7bM.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

10 Posts

July 12th, 2013 22:00

Thanks Amogh. I am trying the alternative power scheme option ("Balanced") and see what happens. However, why a new machine, bought just two weeks back, should need all these diagnostics and bios update? It becomes a "Dell" quality issue. I will post my observation after testing this alternative power scheme option for few days.

1.5K Posts

July 15th, 2013 18:00

Hi tktosh,

Thank you for the response. I provided the tests and updates to ensure that everything on the hardware is working fine. Please share the results with me after changing the power settings.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you.

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 07:00

Thanks again Amogh for your assurance. The laptop is working fine till now after changing the power scheme from "Dell" to "Balanced". The display wakes up from sleep when the power button is pressed once. In case the laptop is not in sleep mode and only the display is shut then it comes back to life with mouse movement or key stroke. Hope it continues. I will keep you posted if any other development.

23 July 2013: Yesterday I posted (as above) that the laptop is working fine but today again the display went dead. I performed the hardware diagnostics, as suggested by Amogh, through Dell utility (icon on the Start menu of Windows 8) by running default scan. The scan resulted in all tests passed but the memory test prompted the ‘helpful hint’ suggesting to run the Windows memory diagnostic tool. The tool resulted in the error message “Your computer has a memory problem. Memory problems can cause your computer to lose information or stop working. To identify and repair the problem, contact the computer manufacturer”. I contacted Dell support who suggested that it may mostly be a software issue and not a hardware problem. The person checked the Video drivers version and Bios which they found to be latest. I was then advised to change the power scheme settings to “never sleep”. The diagnostics run through “Power/F12” while testing Memory prompted the information that “Memory issues are resolved” and to “Ok” it for proceeding further. Rest of the Memory test was passed and I was advised not go to the next stage of detailed Memory examination. I am now told by the Dell technician to observe the laptop for next few days and see if the problem is resolved otherwise to come back to them. I have therefore set the “Balanced” power scheme again to default (removing the earlier selection of “never sleep”) to observe the display behaviour. I will update the outcome in due course.

1.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 18:00

Hi tktosh,

Thank you for the reply. I would also suggest you to observe the system after changing the power scheme. I hope the troubleshooting performed will take care of the issue.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you.

10 Posts

August 1st, 2013 23:00

After working fine since the last communication, display again went blank yesterday all of a sudden while I was working on the machine and nothing could revive it. I had to force shut the laptop to re-start and the display came up. I subsequently again ran the diagnostics (Power/F12) yesterday under Thorough Test Mode this time and got the result “Pass PSA V4222 ePSA Extended Test Pass”. I have passed on the information to Dell customer support yesterday but with no response till now.

02 August 2013: The display again went blank all of a sudden while I was working on the machine sometime back. Dell customer support has not cared to acknowledge or reply to my communication sent to them yesterday till this time.

1.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 16:00

Hi tktosh,

It seems the video drivers are corrupt. You may try to completely uninstall and reinstall the video drivers. Please share the operating system and paste the screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Display Adapters’ expended. You may follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

10 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 01:00

Dear Amogh,

Checked for the driver at Dell Drivers update through My Dell on Windows 8 Start Screen / Drivers and Downloads. The machine currently has version 9.17.10.2843 released on 21-08-2012 for Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000. Version 9.17.10.2867 released on 21-02-2013 is available for update. I tried to download but the installation of Dell System Detect fails and it is unable to install. I do not know if it has any issue with Windows 8 / IE 10? What I need to do? Should I allow Windows to search for the available driver update on machine/web and do the needful?

The machine currently also has version 9.18.13.1100 released on 10-01-2013 for NiVidia GeForce GT 730M. The updated version appearing on Dell Drivers update shows the same identification numbers but release date is later. Do I need to update this also?

One other question, does my doing all this affect warranty? The laptop is just one month old and has warranty.

As a complaint, I have still not heard anything from Dell customer support in response to my communication.

Thanks and regards.

10 Posts

August 5th, 2013 05:00

Dear Amogh,

I had also written to Dell Customer Care based on your feedback raising the Drivers issue. They finally called me by reopening the complaint and advised me to update the Video Drivers and then observe. They also said that if it does not work then they will replace the Video Card.

The following is the mail I have now sent to them which is self-explanatory. Let me now observe if this resolves the matter.

"The display again crashed once today morning all of a sudden before I performed the Drivers update as you had suggested.

Anyway As per your guidance, I first uninstalled NVIDIA Driver through Control Panel / Program & Features. I then updated the Intel Driver Video_driver_W8CTK_WN_9.17.10.2867_A02.exe and reinstalled NVIDIA Driver Video_NV_W74W84_X04_Setup-DD0PY_ZPE.exe from Dell Drivers.

Let me now observe next 8-10 days if the problem is resolved.

Please note that the “Download & Install” option on Dell website is not working as it prompts “Initializing – Analyse System for System Detect EULA” > “Download & Install System Detect Application” > “Download Initializing” and then fails after several minutes  with the error “We are sorry we encountered a problem and were unable to complete the download and install of the file selected. You can either Try Again or Cancel to select another option”. This issue I had brought to your notice on phone also when you told me that NVIDIA may not be allowing the Intel update and I should first uninstall NVIDIA Driver. The reason of failure actually seems to be somewhere else.

I was able to update / reinstall Drivers by “Download & Save” through Browser Option  and then installed from saved exe files."

Thanks Amogh for your support and I will update you.

1.5K Posts

August 5th, 2013 18:00

Hi tktosh,

Thank you for the reply. I regret for the inconvenience caused. However, I am glad to know that you got the required support from Dell Customer Care. I hope this will take care of the issue.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

November 12th, 2013 16:00

Dear Tktosh,

I received my new Inspiron 14 Series 7000 yesterday and today I had the same problem as you: the display will not turn on after it went on sleep mode. Can you let me know if you were able to solve the issue? the drivers update worked out for you?

Thanks!

10 Posts

November 12th, 2013 23:00

No the drivers updates did not work Dell technicians were also unable to identify the issue. The laptop was replaced by Dell India. However, the new machine also turned out to be having the same problem. Fortunately, this display shut down has happened only three times in last 4 months since the replaced machine was delivered. I had posted the issue again on this community website but have not heard anything from Dell so far.

Regards.

No Events found!