Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 14z-4423 Hard Disk Drive not found: How to Reseat Drive?

Inspiron 14z-5423  Hard Disk Drive not found: How to Reseat Drive?

error code 2000-0142

validation 73381

Also, video card for memory has error code of 2000-0332

validation 71027

Much appreciation for info to help me do this, confused and sad.

2K Posts

November 19th, 2016 17:00

Hi HEARTLOTUS,

The 0142 error is a HDD failure. This is a smart error and indicates that the HDD is failing or already failed error - see this article for reference - http://dell.to/1NAsADX

So, reseating the HDD will not positively help in this case. If you would like to reseat the HDD anyway and check - download the service manual here - http://dell.to/2d326ia

Also, the 0332 is a video card related error. So, the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Personally, I would suggest you to invest your money on a new machine than to repair this system. However, that is your discretion.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2016 20:00

Thank you for your research and info to further my research.  I dropped my laptop.  Can I still retrieve the stored data on it?  If yes, how?  

In Gratitude, Mira heartlotus

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 20th, 2016 03:00

If the drive IS seen by the system, you may be able to recover the data by mounting it in an external case and attaching it to a working system by USB.

If it's not seen by the system, you'll need to weigh the value of the data against the cost of data recovery - there are services such as Gillware that can work miracles with crashed drives, but the cost begins at about $600 and can easily escalate into the over-four-digit territory depending on the work involved.

2K Posts

November 20th, 2016 13:00

Hi Mira,

I see ejn63 has already responded to your query.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2016 14:00

hi guys,

Have the same problem with my own 7200 series. HDD was unseated and got the video card error. Took out HDD and slotted it back in, laptop booted fine. Repeated this a couple of times over month now it looks to be permanent. Is my motherboard definitely gone despite it booting successfully after reseating HD previously?

Thanks

3 Posts

November 21st, 2016 10:00

Thank you for response.  One more question: Can I take that hard drive in to a technician to retrieve my data?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 21st, 2016 11:00

Yes, you can -- however, be advised that entry level recovery starts at about $600 and can easily cost many times that depending on what's wrong.

2K Posts

November 25th, 2016 10:00

Hi BELGOWHO,

What is the exact system model?

Was the HDD loose when you state it was "unseated"? What was the exact video card error you encountered?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Check if there is a HDD firmware available and if yes, update the firmware.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

If the HDD still gets undetected randomly, then I would suggest you to try a good known HDD. If a good known HDD also has the same issue, then I would suspect a faulty motherboard as the HDD controller might have been worn out.

If the system is under warranty, Please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name, Phone#, Address and Email). If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

No Events found!