Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2017 10:00

Inspiron 14z-5423, LCD replacement

Recently I bought a new LCD screen for my Inspiron 14z 5423 that I bought back in 2012. Recently the screen broke and I went to the PartsPeople website. I got a new screen with ease. Then I saw that my laptop was sold with a Core i5 motherboard with AMD Radeon discrete graphics. My laptop has the Core i5 integrated graphics motherboard. The website said that the motherboard is compatible with my laptop. I purchased the motherboard along with the screen. A few questions I have is if it actually will work with my system. I have been searching for the fan needed for the new motherboard, but are there other things I will need.  My laptop has been updated to Windows 10. If possible, can someone tell me if this is actually compatiable and if it will work, or if there are things I will need to do. Any information would be great.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2017 11:00

You'll need a new heatsink assembly (the one from Intel GPU won't fit the board with AMD).

www.parts-people.com/index.php

You may also need a larger-capacity power adapter -- the system with AMD graphics will draw significantly more power than the one with Intel graphics.

4 Posts

January 6th, 2017 19:00

Thanks for the tip on the heat sink assembly. I would get it from PartsPeople, but they don't have it anymore. The power adapter I'll definetly have to look into. I didn't even think about the power being an issue. My main concern is will it delete any of my files that make the computer run and will my computer be Windows 7 again. Or does it not affect any of my files and keeps it at Windows 10. Thank you for the information!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 7th, 2017 04:00

Replacing the board won't affect the data on the hard drive, and won't affect activation if you have a Dell Windows 10 copy loaded (or upgraded a Dell OEM version of Windows to Windows 10 earlier).

4 Posts

January 18th, 2017 13:00

Okay. That makes me feel better. Now, I got the fan yesterday. With it came a little squirt clay thing. I installed the new fan to the new motherboard and put everything back in my computer. Now the LCD work and I know now that it was the motherboard all along. Everything worked great and setup on it's own. Then it told me that new changes were made and would be completed when I reboot the computer. I rebooted the computer and now the problems start. It will startup and the screen with show the dell logo. I then see the Windows 10 logo at the bottom of the scree with a spinning circle and then the computer shuts down. I don't know what to do. Now I did some research and I realize the squirt clay thing is heat clay? and I need to put it on the cpu and the gpu of my motherboard and put the fan on it. Is that correct. And what is causing my computer not to start and what should I do? Thank you so much for the help. I just can't win with this laptop.

No Events found!