Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron 14z N411Z Unwanted "Auto" Brightness Adjustment

I just received my second inspiron 14z N411Z. The first one was sent back because of a loose part rattling around inside the housing and because the brightness would change randomly. Although my new replacement does not have any loose parts, it does have the same brightness adjustment issue. While on certain websites, the brightness will automatically change ever so slightly. While it is not a huge change in brightness like using the actual brightness controls, it is enough to be annoying.  This adjustment is not random, as it only occurs on certain sites or on parts of certain webpages. If I am on weather.com and scroll to the middle of the page, the screen will noticeably dim itself three notches. If I scroll back to the top, however, it will go back to its original brightness. It is almost as if there is an automatic brightness adjustment depending on what you are viewing.  Is this a normal feature for these monitors, or have a received another lemon? If it is a feature, I would love to be able to tun it off.

Thanks for any help,

John

4 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

My problem is a bit different since my notebook belongs to my company. It was purchased a while ago and it was sitting in storage for a couple months before being assigned to me about a week ago (it was tested back when it was bought, but this issue is difficult to detect). I guess I'll ask what the company policy is and go with it.

4 Posts

That's my case, I'm from Brazil, and the problem is still there even with the power cable plugged. I'm sure I changed every power plan setting everywhere to Maximum Performance. I was hoping it would be a software/driver problem, but if it is a hardware issue, then nothing can be done :(

Marimp, did you return your notebook? I hope I don't have problems with Dell's customer service trying to get this traded (brazilian customer service is usually very bad...)

12 Posts

Didn't return it yet, but I'll do it if my last try with the support doesn't work. I'm waiting for a call at 5:30 p.m. for one last try to resolve the issue. If it's unsolved, I'll return it and ask for another one, once I didn't complete yet the 7 days after receiving it. It's a very annoying problem... how long have you had your notebook?

5 Posts

From what you wrote here, this sound like me a month ago,...

You'll probably have to jump through all the hoops, and eventually you'll get there... just hope that customer service will be better in Brasil that it is in UK.

PS: the remote help was useless as the guy that connected to my laptop wasn't even aware of the settings mentioned above and wanted to sell this bug as a feature!!! That "this is it, its supposed to work like that !!!"

I have to convince him that that is not the case, and show him this thread that people are complaining about this and they in fact get it fixed...

Hope this helped...

12 Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

Well, if it hasn't completed one year yet, you're still in time to return it to fix it, since it has one year warranty

12 Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

Well, for users that have lost hope on fixing it or just don't mind doing this, you can "CHEAT" to fix it by ajusting your screen at maximum brightness, and then you set to the brightness level you want. It will stop the variations. I want a definitive solution, since this is just a "cheat" to fix it, so I'll keep on trying with the support and probably I'll request a new one.

4 Posts

May 9th, 2013 16:00

Yes! I just managed to fix mine. I went to the Intel Graphics taskbar, Graphic Proprerties (Advanced Mode) Energy/Power tab (I'd already set this to Maximum Performance before, without success), then I selected battery mode in the top right and disabled the "Energy Saving Technology" check box (alternatively, slide the slider to "maximum quality" on the left).

The exact terms might differ since my version is in portuguese and I'm translating.

Thanks for the help, everyone, hope you can all solve your problems as well.

12 Posts

May 9th, 2013 18:00

I did that also yesterday, and didn't work too. For sure my computer has a problem that came from the fabric, and I'll return it ;(

9 Posts

May 17th, 2013 09:00

hi, I am facing the same issue can you tell me if your new replaced laptop is free from that issue.. and where it is made.. mine is Made in China.

12 Posts

May 21st, 2013 14:00

Just for you to know, I just got my replacement laptop and the problem remains the same, doesn't matter what I do and which steps I follow. I'm returning it for real and getting my Money back. Besides, I got a broken button (scroll down). I'm done with Dell.

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 04:00

i myself found a solution for me though I am using Inspiron 14 with windows 8...  none of the steps over internet worked for me..

This issue of auto brightness adjusting is caused by Dell Intelligent Display ' which is located in your Battery managing window if its not there follow these Steps..

Restart your system

Press F2 on Dell Logo appears.

Goto Boot tab

Select Secure Boot and Disable it and Save and Exit.

Press F12 while Dell logo appears

Check all the options if Secure Boot is Off, it has to be Off. If not toggle it to Off.

Restart your system-> goto Desktop

Right click on ur battery Icon and open the Battery managing window..  (not  the Power plans) 

Switch to first tab in that window

You will see an option Dell Intelligent Display

Turn that off and check..

I hope this Work for you.. in the favor of Mankind my contribution to the technology..

12 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 11:00

YOU NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 12:00

Your Welcome :)

1 Message

December 7th, 2014 12:00

On mine it appears to be an Intel issue. Here is what I did:

- open "graphics properties" window -- right-click on desktop and select "graphics properties"

Now you should have the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel open. Select "advanced mode" if you have a choice.

- Select "power" on the left side of the menu.

- IMPORTANT: select "on battery" for Power Source -- upper right.

-De-select "Display Power Saving Technology"

No Events found!