Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2013 15:00

Inspiron 14z (N411z) cannot find the webcam

The laptop came with Win 7. The webcam worked very well, but now it is missing. I am told that it is used by other programs or not connected. What should I do? Thank you.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2013 16:00

HANSON,
Thank you. I bought my Dell N411Z a year ago and have been trying to fix it for more than 8 months straight, I've spent countless hours.

And I just  tried to press on the the webcam hard, right near the lense and the top of the screen, and it worked!

I've installed many, many drivers and this was the problem all along.

1 Message

March 14th, 2015 22:00

woooooow I don't know how you come up with this idea it realy saved a lot of time fore me I was not sure which side of the came lense to press so I pressed both sides of the cam lese at the same tim and it worked  thanx alot

943 Posts

January 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi

Welcome to the Community.

I would suggest you to open device manager and click imaging device and check weather web cam is detected or not.

If it’s detected please install the webcam software from the below mentioned link:

http://dell.to/12Vv5Fu

You can refer to Dell Article 266612 or click the below mentioned link for further help:

http://dell.to/Y8mkcf

Please revert with the results 

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

January 16th, 2013 04:00

Thank you for your response. I checked and the webcam is not detected. What should I do next? Bei 

943 Posts

January 17th, 2013 15:00

Hi

I would suggest you to install Dell Support Center 3.0 from the below mentioned link and click on custom scan and run diagnostics on camera. In case its already installed run tests only. 

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

943 Posts

January 17th, 2013 17:00

• Hi

I would suggest you to install Dell Support Center 3.0 from the below mentioned link and click on custom scan and run diagnostics on camera. In case its already installed run tests only. 

http://dell.to/IgQaEa

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Prateek K
    #iworkfordell

4 Posts

January 17th, 2013 17:00

Thank you, but which link?

4 Posts

January 24th, 2013 17:00

Thank you. However, there is no camera in the list, so I cannot run diagnostics. What should I do?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2013 09:00

Bei Piglet,

Go to Control panel, programs and features and uninstall Dell Webcam Central.

Download this file, also know as Dell Webcam Central Version 1.40.05

Does the webcam work?

Try Test Webcam What happens?

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

If your computer is under warranty, click on the blue DELL-Prateek K on the next page, start conversation and please provide the following information...

First and last name

shipping address

phone number

email address

service tag

Rick 

4 Posts

March 17th, 2013 18:00

I'm still having a problem locating the Driver for the webcam. I ordered the Recovery CD from dell for my N411Z  and Webcam is not working.. I download all the drivers from thier website and installed every single one .. still not working. i have one yellow mark in my Devisce manager and i think it is the Webcam ..  in the drivers page under input there is only one file Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad, v.15.3.2.1, A02  and there is nothen for webcam..

please please please HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.8K Posts

March 17th, 2013 20:00

Hi ehabtr,

Please share the operating system installed. 

Are you not able to use Webcam through Dell Webcam central or any other application like Skype etc? 

Check under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager' and see if the Integrated webcam is getting detected on your computer.

To check webcam in 'Device Manager':

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed.

If the webcam is listed under Imaging Devices, you may uninstall the 'Webcam' application from control panel and then re-install to see if it works. To re-install webcam central, click on the link: http://dell.to/SZiyuN  

In reference to yellow exclamation mark in 'Device Manager', You may let me know the name of device for which driver needs to be installed. In case, it is listed as 'unknown device', you may check and let me know the hardware ID's of devices for which drivers needs to be installed. Open Device manager --> Right click on the device with yellow exclamation or red cross -- > Properties -- > Then select 'Details' tab. Select Hardware ID by expanding the Device description Drop down menu. Below is an image (as example) which shows how you will find the hardware ID:

Please reply with information.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2013 01:00

thanks for the replay

The operating system is windows 7 64-bit that was supplied with the laptop..

Yes, I'm not able to use Webcam through Dell Webcam central or any other application like Skype etc !!

I checked under devices manager and there is NO imaging devices to check if there is a webcam under it ! means that its not detected by the system. this is the 4th time for me doing the recovery process and downloading the drivers from my dell account and installing the software provided for my computer.

for the yellow exclamation mark the ID is :

ACPI\SMO8800

*SMO8800

thanks !

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 01:00

Hi ehabtr,

In reference to yellow exclamation mark on your computer, you may install the ST Microelectronics driver from the link: http://dell.to/ZU17PR 

For the webcam issue, you may uninstall and re-install USB Root Hubs:

1. Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  2. From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  3. Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  4. Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  5. Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  6. Restarted the computer
  7. Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer 

If there is an issue with loose webcam cable, you may press the area near webcam and see if it makes any difference. If the issue still persists, you may update system BIOS.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Link to download system BIOS: http://dell.to/WQMU9J

Please share the findings. 

4 Posts

March 18th, 2013 03:00

i installed the ST Microelectronics driver and that resolved the issue perfectly ... thanks !

the "integrated" webcam is still missing unfortunately. I tried testing it by using dell webcam central and still not working !!

it is not even showing on the device management list .. the imaging category is not even there !!

please help !

P.S I used all instructions and followed them perfectly in all of the previous answers like installing the drivers by the correct order and still nothing worked !

thanks

4 Posts

March 18th, 2013 20:00

Any Help with the webcam drivers

No Events found!