Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2016 10:00

Inspiron 15 (3542) - Cannot install driver updates - getting errors on execution

I have an Inspiron 15 (3542).  I tried using a new USB 3.0 device and, unfortunately, it's just running at USB 2.0 speeds.  I tried updating the drivers in several different ways - both through Dell and Intel's websites - but every time I got an error message on the install.

I cannot figure out why it says this.  I'm running Windows 10 w/ a SSD.  Aside from that, the computer is the same as when it came off the assembly line.  Here's what I tried to run:

• I ran the driver diagnostic from Dell's website which told me to install this file: Chipset_Driver_5R99D_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE.  That gave me this error: The update installer operation is unsuccessful (note: had screen shot but that post wouldn't go through)
    • This is from the log file: 

[04/24/16 09:10:01] (DupAPI::Execute): *** Shell Execute Error. System error text = The system cannot find the file specified.
      [04/24/16 09:10:01] (DupAPI::ExecutePayload): *** An unexpected error occured executing SetupME.exe

• I then tried to install a chipset specifically for Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (from Dell's website): Chipset_Driver_8JF9V_WN_2.5.3.34_A00.EXE.  That gave me this error: This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software (note: had screen shot but that post wouldn't go through)

Looking at Device Manager, the USB 3.0 device is a native Microsoft driver.  This is likely the issue, but unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to fix it since the software Dell provides is erroring out.  

Any clues as to the issue or how to resolve it?

No Responses!
No Events found!