Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 15 5000 series won't power up

Shut down my computer last night. It was nearing low battery power, but wasn't dead 5% or so. Woke up this morning. Plugged it into the charger, and it won't turn on. The white LED at the front of the computer is on fine though. Tried with just the battery, no light no power. With just the cord, also no light, no power. Light only comes on when both are in, but still no power or any signs of life other than that little light. Is the issue with the battery or the cord and how do I find out which?

2K Posts

June 27th, 2017 20:00

Hi MCWERP,

What is the exact system model?

Does the system overheat? Is there any damage / liquid spillage on the system?

When you press the power button, does the power led come on and stay on or does it go off after a few seconds? 

When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed?

Please check if there is any damage on the machine. Check if all the ports on the machine are fine or misaligned. Sometimes if the pins in the USB ports are touching each other, they are known to cause many issues on the machine.

Disconnect the adapter and battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to release any static power. Then test the system with the adapter only / battery only.

Press and hold the fn key + power button to turn on the system and it should initiate the diagnostics - check for any possible beep codes.

Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Enter the service tag and download the service manual and open the chassis - remove the HDD / memory modules and check if the system powers on and detects the absence of memory indicated by beeps.

If nothing works, I would suspect a motherboard fault and it needs to be replaced.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!