Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 15 7000 Series - keyboard problem

So I recently bought this new laptop(windows 10) and I discovered something wrong.

It's a qwerty keyboard, and the letters work fine.However, the buttons in the top row are reversed; meaning that when both shift and caps lock are OFF, these buttons show numbers, not symbols.

When I enable caps lock, I get capitalised letters and the numbers stay the same.

And when I press shift, I get capitalised letters and the symbols instead of the numbers.

So essentially, if I want it to be normal(lowercase letters + the top row giving symbols) I need to enable both caps lock and shift.I tried it using the touch keyboard.

I tried every language I can find that has QWERTY and although some of the symbols change, I always get numbers when shift and caps lock are off.However, any AZERTY keyboard works fine..

I have been googling for days and looking at dozens of forum threads but NONE of them matched what I was looking for...

I don't know if this is supposed to happen, nor do I care about it.

I just need help in making it stop.

Thanks !

6 Posts

September 9th, 2017 17:00

Anyone?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 9th, 2017 18:00

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying but it sounds normal to me, referencing the keyboards on my systems.

Caps Lock ASDF3456

No Shift or Caps Lock  asdds4356787

Shift HJJHHH*&***(

Caps Lock and Shift  dfghhjj$%^^&&**  since the shift reverses the Caps Lock.

6 Posts

September 9th, 2017 20:00

Yes that is what I'm saying.

I thought it would be normal, but it's the first time I encounter it and I want to know if there's anything I can do about it..

I'm looking for the fourth state you posted.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 9th, 2017 21:00

Caps Lock only effects Letter keys.  Shift effects both Letter and numbers so if you use Shift to override Caps Lock, it reverses the Caps Lock on Letters and get symbols on Numbers..  

I can get the fourth state by typing normally dddfdggd and then shifting to get symbols ***)(%^&$%  

Just in case I am still misunderstanding, Caps Lock stays engaged until you turn it off.  Caps Lock does not effect such keys as /? so only shift will get the ?

I have a backlit keyboard and it highlights the normal characters but dims the Shifted ones, so / is highlighted and ? is dim..

If I am not explaining it correctly or misunderstand, I will wait to see if anyone else has a different impression.

6 Posts

September 10th, 2017 03:00

Yes I got it, we are both the same, it's just that I never had this before, even with my old dell..

Probably because this is the first time I use windows 10..

So there isn't anything I can do?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 10th, 2017 09:00

OK,I found a few things.

First, there is a distinction between a Caps Lock key and a Shift Lock key.  Shift Lock basically holds down the shift key which does get symbols from the number keys.  This was on a 40 year old electric typewriter.  The computers do not have a Shift Lock key.

I found mention as to were some languages, which may use symbols in their language would have the symbols be first choice and the numbers needed the shift key.  French was one of the languages mentioned.

I have no experience with Apple keyboards.  I do have a Dell from 2004 which behaves the same as the ones now.  I have a 20-25 year old Compaq Armada which behaves the same as the new systems.

Do you still have the system which you say behaved differently or a model number for it?

6 Posts

September 11th, 2017 22:00

No, I don't have the exact model number of my last Dell.

But I do remember it had a French AZERTY keyboard, I think that clears it up.

Thanks anyway!

No Events found!