Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2015 09:00

Inspiron 15 7548 (4K UHD Display) Windows 10 Issues

I know Windows 10 is only a technical preview right now but I love it on my Alienware desktop a LOT!  And have it on a couple other laptops and would like to put it on this laptop. 

So this is where my question/issue starts.  I tried it as a clean install first and could get all the hardware working except the accelerometer (not a huge issue) or the graphics cards.  I finally got drivers installed (Intel first and then AMD) and then the screen just goes black (but the backlight is still on and it still makes sounds when I plug in USB so I know the computer is still functional and I can reboot into safe mode still...so it is a graphics driver issue.

So then I thought well the graphics work out of the box so lets try an upgrade.  Same issue...after the upgrade the graphics cards go to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" or something like that and when I try the drivers again I get the black screen with backlight on.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Or any suggestions?  I have to believe Dell is testing this as Windows 10 is only a few months away and I would love to get this working!

March 30th, 2015 16:00

Exact same issue - found this post by searching google. I've tried with the latest build (10041) and still the same "black" screen.. meaning, backlight on, but nothing showing.

March 31st, 2015 19:00

Just about to do a Win10 install on my 7548. Glad I googled first! 

I'm going to do some poking around, and report back. 

MacGeek, I've seen a lot of issues have been resolved by reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++  packs. For some reason the last few Windows 10 builds have been causing problems that were resolved by this. Any chance you've given that a shot already?

EDIT: I also stumbled across this tidbit on the AMD Windows 10 page, "AMD Radeon™ graphics and accelerated processing unit customers should use AMD Catalyst™ 14.9 WHQL (or newer)."

Hope this helps. Good luck to you both, and as I said, if I come across anything solid, I'll report back. 

12 Posts

April 1st, 2015 09:00

I had tried the latest version from Dell's website...I had not tried the Visual C++ thing...did you get it to work? Can you let us know what you did and in what order?  Thanks!!

April 1st, 2015 09:00

I was thinking of trying the AMD drivers from the AMD site. The problem I have is, I can get Windows 10 to boot, but it then automatically installs the "bunk" driver which causes the screen to go dark.

Is there a safe mode for Windows 10?

It's also worth noting, I tried an external display via HDMI, and no luck.

12 Posts

April 1st, 2015 11:00

Hold down shift during boot...and navigate and you can get safe mode :)

April 1st, 2015 12:00

OK cool - I guess I could have just looked that up :)

Let me do some toying around. FYI: In case you aren't already doing it, make an image of W8.1 before doing any experimentation. Very, very quick way to get back up and running. (It's under "File History" in CP)

April 1st, 2015 14:00

Progress Update:

- I was able to get a little further. Whenever you are asked the question (after the setup and first boot), "Use Express Settings". Chose Customize and turn off anything that states things like "Check online for updates" or "Automatically install drivers for me", etc.

- I can then boot into the desktop successfully, although, obviously neither a good intel or AMD driver is installed, so it's an ugly resolution and incredibly slow.

- I can get the Intel driver to install (from Dell's website), but upon reboot, doesn't seem to change anything.

- I have then tried to install the Dell AMD driver, it tells me to install the Intel driver first. I've obviously done that, so it's not detecting it.

- I have then tried to install the Beta AMD Catalyst driver 15.3-beta, but it installs with errors. However, viewing the log suggests that both the Install Manager and Driver installed successfully. The "AMD Gaming Evolved App" does not. Upon reboot, however, still no change.

- It is worth noting, that this entire time, the trackpad WILL NOT WORK. I suspect by disabling the option to allow Windows to automatically install drivers is preventing the Microsoft Precision Trackpad driver from installing. So, you have to either use the touchscreen or a USB mouse.

- After all the above failed, I connected to the internet and did a windows update. I noticed that several of of the updated items was a display driver.

- And then, BAM - back to the black screen. I did watch it like a hawk this time, and it occurs as soon as this update is installed: DELL INTEL GRAPHICS 5500 UPDATE

The one thing I'm going to try next is Intel's latest driver for the 5500 and try to stay away from Dell's completely as they are clearly not ready yet.

I will report back

Update: BTW: Safe mode won't come up while holding down Shift - goes to the blank/back light only screen for me

Yeah, still not having much luck. It really feels like the Intel driver is the problem, not the AMD. Is there a way to force the dedicated GPU in the BIOS? Couldn't see an option.

12 Posts

I order to install the Intel drivers you have to do a little hacking because they are set to specifically not install on Windows 10...I haven't tried the beta AMD drivers maybe I need to...

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially since they are using the standard Intel 5500 - maybe it's a problem with the GPU switching portion of the drivers?

12 Posts

There is no way to force either GPU sadly that I have found.  I have to believe this is solveable!  It is only software afterall.  I just know Dell won't be much help officially because it is a preview OS etc etc etc.

12 Posts

Ok so I reinstalled from scratch Build 10041...I followed the advice of turning off the drivers automatically installing (I previously just skipped WiFi setup the get the same thing).  I installed my "hacked" Intel drivers and they are now up and working...so now I'm downloading the 15.3 Beta AMD drivers to try them.  I'm running at a good resolution now but I need to get the AMD sorted out otherwise when I reenable the driver download stuff I'll be back where I was before (I have made it this far before).  I'll keep you all posted and please do the same.

P.S. I have a flash drive with the default load and restore ability on it that is why I don't worry about playing with this laptop too much.  And my Alienware desktop is my primary.

OK, good to know - will give it a shot

12 Posts

April 1st, 2015 15:00

That is my suspicion....

12 Posts

April 1st, 2015 15:00

I got it!!! OK now I'm going to try and enable to download the other drivers...I'll post info after work on how I got it and my success with the rest!

No Events found!