Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 15-7569 Intermittent power button issue

I have an Inspiron 15-7569, about 8 months old.  Lately I have been having intermittent issues with the power button.

Sometimes, the laptop powers up instantly when I push the button.  Other times I hold the button in and it takes a few seconds before it powers up.  Other times no matter how long I hold the button in, it doesn't power up.  I can always eventually get it to power up, but it is definitely not consistent in functioning.  

I can always hear the "click" of the button, so it seems like the button itself is doing its thing.  The laptop has never been dropped or subject to any liquid spills.  The power button has never been abused, pressed too hard, used by children etc.  I'm the only user.

I have been keeping a log of how the button works and it truly is all over the board from working instantly, to 3 seconds, to 8 seconds, to never. Repeated clicking of the button does always power the computer up, but something is not working properly. 

I know I can send the laptop in under my 1 year warranty, just wondering if any of you have had this issue or have seen it and can offer some guidance as to what may be the true root cause.  Thanks in advance! 

• 

16.7K Posts

April 6th, 2017 07:00

BIRCHLAKE,

You can request that the parts be sent to you instead of having to ship the computer back to Dell.

• 

16.7K Posts

April 4th, 2017 07:00

birchlake,

You can call into the support and have them replace any defective part that is needed to resolve the power button issue. The number to call is 1-800-624-9897.

33 Posts

April 4th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for your reply Jesse.  

I have been playing around with the power button and by pushing firmly on the rear of the button, it consistently works and powers up.    So the problem does appear to be hardware related within the button unit itself.  

I am a longtime electrical technician and I have reviewed the procedure for replacing the board that houses both the power and volume buttons. Looks to be a very easy procedure.

I have about 4 more months of "mail-in" warranty on this laptop, but as it is my only computer but I hate to be without it for a week or more if I send it in for repair.

Do you know if Dell would send out the part that I needed so I could do the repair myself?  Or during my remaining warranty, would I be forced to send it into the Dell repair depot?   I don't want to do anything that would void my remaining warranty.

Thanks for your thoughts!  

33 Posts

April 6th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Jesse.....that is what I am going to do.  Just wasn't sure that was an option or not.

Button "contact" is intermittent, flaky so I'm quite confident that a new power button / volume board will resolve this problem.

Thanks again!

No Events found!