Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2014 17:00

Inspiron 15 R -- wireless adapter problem

Dell laptop Inspiron 15-R 5537 - N 7260 wireless adapter. Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1. Motherboard model 0845 MX. Intel i5 proc. RAM: 6GB. HD: 500.1 GB.

1. This laptop was purchased 12/10/13 and is still under warranty.

2. A Touchpad defect finally led to the Touchpad's replacement by Dell. In the meantime, I had no use of the laptop. I used an older laptop instead without problem for much of my work. Both the Dell and the older HP laptop, AND two desktop PC's in our home, are all connected to the same wireless network, and there are no problems with Internet connectivity or access with the other three computers.

3. Following replacement of the Dell Touchpad, I powered up the Inspiron 15R, and another problem immediately occurred. It involves the wireless adapter and access to the Internet. Initially, I was able to access the Internet, but then would begin seeing "limited access" error messages on screen, and the Internet stopped working. That is, commands from the browser had no effect. And the Windows "busy icon" circle kept busy. If I remained on that page or screen, nothing further would happen.

But then I would try to go to another Internet page. A blank full-screen would appear on the display monitor, bearing the message, "Cannot Connect to the Internet."

4. I would then Exit, click on Start | Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center | Connect to a Network. A drop-down menu would appear showing all wireless networks in our neighborhood. My network, Aglow--- showed a message, "Limited Access."

[IMPORTANT TO KEEP IN MIND: All throughout this process, two other computers in my home were connected simultaneously to the same network -- one just six feet from the Inspiron 15-R -- and were actively logged onto to Internet normally, with no problems or error messages. That suggests the Inspiron 15-R problem does =NOT= involve our D-Link router or the access point.]

5. I next would click on the "limited access" message displayed by the Aglow--- network ID. An option would appear: "Disconnect." I would click on that. After the disconnection, I would click on the Aglow201 network identifier again. This time, a "Connect" option would appear. But clicking on Connect resulted in a failure to connect, and a message from Windows 7 offering an option to Run the troubleshooter.

6. When the troubleshooter was done, in 20 of 22 recent incidents tested, it flashed a message, "Fixed." It included details of what Windows had found in troubleshooting various components. It identified the source of the problem as the "wireless adapter." It said it had "reset" the adapter. I could reconnect to the Internet after that, only to have the disconnection cycle randomly begin again at some point.

7. TROUBLING DISCOVERY -- CONFUSION AS TO WHICH WIRELESS ADAPTER IS ACTUALLY INSTALLED! :

The Windows network troubleshooter (official title: "Windows Network Diagnostics") ALWAYS identified the wireless adapter as Intel Wireless N - 7260, in accord with the Dell Inspiron-R specifications, and "Version 16.1.31." So did Windows systeminfo.exe.

I went to the Intel website to explore what troubleshooting options might be there for its wireless adapter. There was an option to have Intel sniff the laptop and identify the installed wireless adapter. It identified the adapter as an Intel. Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Intel PROSet/Wireless "Version 16.1.3.0"!

My understanding is that the N 7260 and the AC 7260 are two different devices!

I've posted a query about this seeming confusion over in the Intel support forum.

8. Is there a solution to this wireless connectivity problem on my Inspiron 15R 5537?

No Responses!
No Events found!