Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2017 08:00

Inspiron 15 series 5000 - Wont take 2 sticks of memory...ANY IDEA ?

Hi all,

This computer is out of warranty or I would be calling Dell. 

Long story short, WIndows 10 started random bluescreening. I ended up with it, it's my mothers laptop.  In trouble shooting I figured possible "bad ram"  So I puled chips one by one and dropped them in. 

After pulling them out the first time, if I drop BOTH chips in (filling Memory slots A and B) the computer will beep 4 times.  If A is the only one full it will boot and run perfectly fine.

I work in IT, so yesterday, I went to work and found 2 sets of compatible memory to take home to try, they were from different OEMS with different chips, thinking possible compatibility.  The EXACT problem happens, if A is full it will boot, as soon as you put a chip in B, you end up with 4 beeps.

This is appearing to be a system board or memory slot issue, Any other thoughts on this one ?

I know replacing the system board is not cost effective, she might be able to live on 4gb of memory but, with Windows 10, 8gb is the sweet spot...

Any idea ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It sounds like you're correct -- bad system board.  If your specific system can take 16 G RAM (most of the ones newer than about 3 years old will), that's the only option short of a replacement system board.

3 Posts

That just confirms things, thanks.  Yea the max is 16gb on this model.  I wonder if I should break up a 16gb kit and buy a single 8gb chip to put in slot 8, it will keep the memory at 8gb.  Windows 10 is not the greatest on 4gb of memory but, the new SSD I put in should help a little (it was a 5400rpm drive before).

Strange one, it was working fine and just failed. It's my mothers computer, she puts it back in the laptop bag when she is done using that. Shocked on this one...

3 Posts

October 14th, 2017 12:00

It looks like I can buy one of these...

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

And the system will be like before...  Never more than 8 but, never less than 8gb ram

No Events found!