Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 8th, 2008 00:00

Inspiron 1520 Headphone Jack Static/Buzzing

When using the headphones on my new Inspiron 1520, there is a buzzing/static noise.  It is consistent with all types of headphones and external speakers.  User groups I have found online confirm that this is a known problem inherent with this model.  It sounds like I'm listening to the morse code-like innerworkings of this machine as it performs tasks.  I primarily use this laptop at night for music and web-surfing and the use of headphones is important to me so that I don't disturb my sleeping family.  This static/buzzing noise is unacceptable. 

The motherboard has been replaced TWICE, the sound card has been replace TWICE and the hard drive has been replaced.  The sound is also there when the wireless card is removed.  After these repairs proved unsuccessful (and actually the first repair caused a hard drive error) I have since contacted customer service TWICE to let them know that the problem has not been resolved.  All I'm offered is for more parts to be replaced which will simply be a futher waste of my time as, according to all the information I have found, this is an issue that can not be fixed. 

Each time I call ends up taking about 40 minutes since I'm forced to start explaining my situation all over again to someone who apparently has no authority to do anything to fix my situation.  I am completely dissatisfied with Dell's inability to resolve my problem that I first reported on 1/17/08 along with the total lack of customer service I've received.  At this point, I believe I am simply being ignored since my calls are not being returned. I'm very disappointed with the poor service I've gotten out of the call center that I presume is in India.  I've had a couple of agents whose accents I can't understand.  I've had agents that put me on hold for several minutes only to come back and ask me the same questions I've already answered.  This has been a very frustrating experience.

This is the 2nd Dell computer I've purchased for my personal use, but I have purchased over 12 machines from Dell for my business.  I want this issue resolved with as little further disruption and time required on my part, as I've estimated that I've already spent more than 15 hours of my own time between making phone calls and reinstalling programs and tweaking settings after having this laptop hacked up twice.

My suggestion to customer service reps on the phone has been to replace this system with a comparable system that does not have the headphone issue.  As long as I have the same technical specs and XP Pro as the operating system, I don't care what model is substituted with this one with.  Seems simple enough to me, but apparently my problem is falling on deaf ears with the folks in Bangalore.  If Dell is unable to make this right, then they've have lost a faithful customer forever...one who has purchased at least 14 systems in the past.

I have sent this note directly to customer service, but I plan to broadcast the details of my experience to as many outlets as possible until the issue is resolved.

16 Posts

March 8th, 2008 13:00

Seem that your Issue looks like that one: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=40994#M40994

Let me know if you'll be able to solve it.. like you, I want a working system, no matters if they have to replace it with another one..

Regards

March 9th, 2008 20:00

That does not appear to have anything to do with my problem.

1.1K Posts

March 17th, 2008 15:00

robertcpark:

It looks as if a replacement system has been shipped for this issue. Please check your Private Messages, as I'd like to follow up and verify your account information.

Thanks!

March 18th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for checking in on my issue, Chris.

I received the replacement Inspiron 1520 today and, as I anticipated, it has the same exact problem.  As I wrote earlier and as I have made plain to every tech/customer support person I have spoken to, a simple google search will lead you to see that this is an inherent problem with the 1520 architecture.  I have called by my main tech contact, a guy named Girish, to see what the next step is.  Full refund or replacement with an equivalent or better model that does not have this problem is the only acceptable solution I can see.

1.1K Posts

March 23rd, 2008 18:00

robertcpark:

I can assist with this issue, but I need to get some information from your system. Please check your Private Messages.

Thanks!

March 27th, 2008 15:00

I have the same problem and Dell are being completely unreasonable.

They know they have no fix to it, but keep insisting I should sent it back (again) for repair.

Disgraceful.       

1 Message

March 29th, 2008 00:00

I too have the same problem.  I thought it was the headphones at first.  Tried three different ones and the buzzing is still there. 

March 29th, 2008 03:00

Sorry to hear you two have been dealing with the same nonsense I've been dealing with.  The Dell fellow in this thread (Chris) has been very kind and responsive, but there's still no fix and I don't expect we'll find one.  Again, the only acceptable solution for me is a replacement with a comparable system that doesn't have the static.

1.1K Posts

April 1st, 2008 12:00

All:

We have received some reports of this issue on our Inspiron 1520 systems, and we are currently researching.

For those in this thread, please add your Service Tag information to your profile. Refer to the following:

Click on preferences --> Profile. Input your Service Tag and select Save Changes.

Thanks!

1 Message

April 3rd, 2008 22:00

I have the same problem on a brand new Inspiron 1525. I added my Service Tag to my profile.

Thanks... 

3 Posts

April 4th, 2008 00:00

I just received my 1520 yesterday and mine too is buzzing when I use the headphones.  This is an XP machine and the buzzing occurs on any and all audio.  In fact, the buzzing/static I hear is going on even when there is not audio playing but the headphones are plugged in.  I noticed that when you mute the volume you can still hear the noise so it must be a device issue. 

Very annoying!!! 

1 Message

April 27th, 2008 04:00

My brand new 1525 arrived yesterday. The sound and trying to figure out the issue is driving me mad. I have to use my laptop almost exclusively with headphones so I have to almost exclusively not use it. Muting it isn't an option as the buzzing persists while muted. Rotten shame too I love everything else about this notebook. Service tag has been added to profile.

3 Posts

April 27th, 2008 15:00

I was never able to find a software solution to this issue but was able to locate some very inexpensive alternatives.  One, which I don't suggest, is to insulate the headphone jack with electrical type; which requires the entire laptop be opened and taken apart...again, not recommended.

The other alternative, which is what I did do, was to purchase an external sound processes/card.  I bought the Creative X-Fi sound  processor which costed around 30 or 40 U.S. dollars...works like a champ.  In fact, my sound is 100X better with this alternative card; the best part is that it did not require any setup or anything - plug and go.  I can be taken in and out as you use just the headphones. 

April 30th, 2008 11:00

After a lot of hassle, the laptop being sent for repair and an engineer visiting me on site twice Dell have finally replaced my laptop with a brand new 1525.

Fortunately, there is no static or bleeping to report.

Keep on at them and you'll get the fully working system you paid for. 

May 8th, 2008 04:00

I just bought a Inspiron 1525 and have the same buzzing static sounds when using the headphone jacks. Here's the kicker: I bought this computer to use as my on-air radio system. My old Inspiron was running out of space so I thought I'd get a computer just to do my radio shows with. Well you can imagine how happy I am right now.

I really need a fix and fast. Dell can you help me? I don't want to play the shipping the computer back and forth game. I'll buy the external sound card in a heartbeat if that'll fix it. Has anyone else had success with an external?

No Events found!