Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2012 06:00

Inspiron 1520 VGA question?

I have an old Inspiron 1520, which is already 4 1/2 years and still going strong.

Recently, I just bought a monitor (I have plans to build a new system in the near future). Here's the link for more info.

However, it doesn't come with any cable and so I couldn't hook up my 1520 to this new monitor. So, I need some more info; which cable should I get? A VGA cable, S-video cable or a VGA to HDMI cable. Of course it's even better if the cable could be reused for my new system later, but that's not the main concern.

Are there different types/variants of cables that I should take note of by the way?

Thanks for any input.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2012 19:00

Yes, a VGA to VGA cable will do the job. VGA to anything digital will require a converter box.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 10th, 2012 10:00

which cable should I get? A VGA cable, S-video cable or a VGA to HDMI cable.

Neither unless you like to throw away money.

24 Posts

February 10th, 2012 15:00

ieee488, I'm afraid I don't understand, can you clarify further? To be honest, I still don't see the clear connection between the following: my laptop's graphic card, external monitor resolution, and how different cables affect the display on the monitor? All I know is that HDMI > DVI > VGA in terms of graphic, etc.

Am I correct to say that even the HP monitor I bought has HDMI port, and even if I were to get a VGA-to-HDMI cable to connect my laptop to the monitor, the display still won't look as good unless if my laptop has a HDMI port?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2012 16:00

VGA is analog - HDMI is digital.  A cable alone won't work - you need a converter box.

24 Posts

February 10th, 2012 18:00

Thanks, ejn63. I'm still unclear, so would a VGA cable alone work, to hook laptop to the external monitor? Please share your insights.

24 Posts

February 11th, 2012 02:00

Thanks ejn63, I guess I'll be getting a VGA-to-VGA cable then. One question, though, I thought for a VGA-to-HDMI cable, the converter would have already been included? Stupid question.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 11th, 2012 16:00

There's no way to use just a cable to go from VGA to HDMI -- you need a digital to analog converter.

No Events found!