Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 1520 black screen on boot

my  inspiron 1520 is getting a black screen when i boot and it just stays black.   i did a display test on it by holding D and the power button.   the display test was a success so it's not the display's fault.    i'm pretty sure it's the GPU, because i've tested it by trying to hook it up to an external monitor and nothing showed up.  but before i waste money on a new GPU, i want to know:

1) how do i test the motherboard to see if there is anything wrong with the mobo?

2) how do i start the laptop so that the POST codes will show up?  i'm talking about these codes here http://www.bay-wolf.com/portpostcodes.htm i don't know how to get those codes to show up cause they can help me alot.  is there a certain key i have to press to show in that mode?

thanks a lot in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi Jinjin12,

There isn't a way to generate those codes. These would show up by itself only in a no POST scenario. 

To me, the issue seems to be with the video card. This system was shipped with a separate video card. If you have purchased the system with a discrete motherboard, you might want to replace the video card only and check. Else, the entire motherboard might have to replaced.

If you are not sure of the type of motherboard shipped with your system, you may provide the service tag of the computer and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the system specifications.

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!