Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 14:00

Inspiron 1520 video upgrade problems

I have an Inspiron 1520 with the Intel mobile 965 chipset.

I do not like it's performance, so I go to Dell upgrades, and using my service tag it lists the Nvidia GEForce, so I buy it.

It arrives with NO instructions, so I call tech support. After an exhausting 1/2 of trying to understand the accent of the support person, he tells me I cannot upgrade it, it has to be done in the factory.

Obviously I'm upset, because NOWHERE on the website does it even suggest you can't do this yourself.

After several more calls and easily a dozen emails, I find that tech support suggests I call customer care, who in turn suggest I call tech support.

So, as much as I'd like to complain here, I need a solution. I've had the laptop apart, and I see where the card goes, but there is a connector in the way (same as the one on the nvidia card so I assume that's how I connect the new card.

Also, the large copper heatsink and fins at the fan assembly are in the way...I presume when they swap these at the factory, they unsolder the cable clip and switch the heat sink to allow the video heat sink fins to sit there also.

Has anyone done this and/or know how to get the instructions/parts I need to do this? I'm comfortable ripping pc's apart, so I'm not worried about that part....and as for the warranty, well, Dell hasn't shown any effort to support me thus far....

web links, phone numbers, emails....any info you think might help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

14.4K Posts

Here is the procedure from your manual.

After you install the card in the machine you need to boot into the bios and disable the onboard video card. Then you need to install the drivers for the Nvidia graphics card.

Which graphics card do you have.

14.4K Posts

Should not make any difference unless there are two versions of the system you should be able to add the card in by following the instructions in the manual. The slot should still be there. If your willing to open the system up I think you will find that there will be the place to add in the card.

3 Posts

Dave, thanks....the whole problem here is this is the card Dell suggested and I paid for, that would upgrade my system. They said nothing of the mainboard switching etc etc that I've seen elsewhere here. My current card is integrated Intel Mobile 965. I am quite angry with their response to this whole thing, and will probably end up returning the card, as they refuse to send me any technical instructions or parts list as to how to do this.

By the way, the tech manual is only good if you have an external video card already in there, which I don't

Thanks for the input

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 18:00

Hi Dave....thanks, again. I have had the system totally apart, and I can see where the card SHOULD go, but there are things in the way, and I don't want to go modifying unless I know what I should be doing first. That's why I was hoping someone had done this before in a 1520 so I could draw on their experience...

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!

319 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 22:00

The 1520 with the Intel video is not upgradeable unless you replace the motherboard.

No Events found!