Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2012 17:00

Inspiron 1521: Wireless Network Adapter not visible on new XP install

I'm new at this so cut me a break please if I'm confused or my answer is obvious!

Virus caused me to wipe clean my laptop and do a fresh install of XP (Home SP2) from the CD that originally came with my computer. Now I can't connect to wireless internet. The switch is in the "on" position. 

Under "Network Connections", my only option is "1394 connection" and that seems to look like it should be a wired connection. I do not have the "Wireless Connection" option. That is also the only option in my Devices & Drivers.

I want to say it is not picking up my internal wireless adapter? Does this sound right at all? If so, any ideas on how to fix it?

Had no problems with wireless before all this... 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 29th, 2012 18:00

Alexzandra,

Did you install the desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start installing the drivers in the correct order.

The 1394 is a firewaire adapter.

Rick

8 Posts

January 29th, 2012 20:00

Thank you!

So I guess I failed to think about knowing to install drivers... (newbie, I told you) and the internet is now working.

I took a look at your link and am having trouble knowing which drivers are needed to install. I started with #1 on the list but am having trouble finding that one for my computer as there is no "System Utilities" category..

www.dell.com/.../DriversHome

4.4K Posts

January 29th, 2012 22:00

Dell does not have one listed for that notebook using WinXP.  Only Vista 32.

Did the system originally come with Vista and you downgraded?

8 Posts

January 29th, 2012 22:00

Yes..that's exactly what happened.

Which ones do I need for sure?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 30th, 2012 00:00

Alexzandra,

The Notebook System Utility and the chipset drivers know what is connected on each computer model and varies from system to system. If you noticed missing devices, like wireless adapters, webcams, usb port issues, then the system will need the Notebook system utility and the chipset drivers installed first.

Since XP does not have one listed, I would first try the drivers installation without the Notebook system utility and go down the list. If you have items missing in the device manager, then I would go back and install the notebook system utility, then chipset drivers and go down the list, again. Do you have the drivers disk for this computer? If yes, is there a notebook system utility on the disk?

Rick

No Events found!