Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2010 18:00

Inspiron 1521 won't Boot or even Post - Caps & Scroll-Lock LEDs flashing!

All of a sudden my 3-year old Inspiron 1521 Laptop will not boot or even post.   After pressing the power button the power LED comes on as do the num, cap and scroll LEDs and a second later the caps & scroll LEDs start flashing (the num lock LED remains solid).  I don't think either the fan (or HDD) is running.  The LCD screen is definitely dark (with no content) and there are no posting-beeps. After about 45 seconds the flashing LEDs stop at which time the Inspiron powers itself down.

My son has an Inspiron 6000, so thinking the problem might be a faulty power-converter I tried his power cord-converter and got the very same result.  I also tried booting up after removing the battery, and then after removing the RAM, but nothing I've tried has changed the symptoms!

Does any of this indicate what the problem could be?

Any help would sure be appreciated.

8 Posts

July 8th, 2010 15:00

This discussion about the CMOS battery got me to thinking that it's possible that your battery may still be ok but your CMOS is in 'a state of shock'.

So please try this...  remove all power to the laptop (unplug the AC converter and remove the main battery). 

Open the memory panel on the bottom of the laptop, where you will find the SODIMM and the CMOS battery.

Using a small flat-blade screwdriver (or long-nose pliers) carefully pry-off the CMOS battery connector from its little socket (make note of its orientation).

Turn the laptop over and depress the power switch and continue holding it down for about 1 minute.

Now carefully plug the CMOS battery connector back into its little socket (making sure its positioned properly).

While you have the memory panel open, remove the SODIMM and using a good pencil eraser, clean the SODIMM's contacts and blow or brush off any erasings ,  Now re-seat the SODIMM applying sufficient force to be certain it is making good contact.  Then press it downward until the metal clips engage.

Now connect the AC power cord-converter and then press the power switch, trying starting up the laptop.   If it now works, you will see a notice on the screen to the effect that your settings may have changed - no problem, the BIOS will automatically find the installed components and re-set itself.  Now re-insert the main battery and see if all is still well. 

If none of this does the trick, we are back to a faulty part for sure...

Good luck...

1 Message

July 7th, 2010 07:00

Your memory is not detected/installed (SODIMM not installed)

8 Posts

July 7th, 2010 12:00

Other possibilities if RAM is ok:

Dead inverter - which provides higher voltage for LCD backlight (imho this is the most likely culprit from what you've said).

Dead CMOS battery (it's inside the RAM compartment).  Less likely , but since this is the easiest and cheapest remedy, I would try it first.

82 Posts

July 7th, 2010 16:00

@Aaron

Do you really think that a dead CMOS battery could cause the symptoms I'm experiencing???    It turnes out that this CMOS battery is not cheap (as are typical CMOS batteries).   Actually, it's relatively expensive, probably due to its special wired leads & connector....

pv

82 Posts

July 7th, 2010 16:00

@zachw7

I tried replacing the SODIMM with one from my son's inspiron laptop (both same type), but that didn't remedy the problem or change the symptoms.

Thanks anyway for trying to help!

8 Posts

July 8th, 2010 09:00

While I've never experienced that, I have heard of a few cases where that has (supposedly) happened.     A CMOS battery should not be very expensive, even with an attached connector.

82 Posts

July 8th, 2010 12:00

"A CMOS battery should not be very expensive, even with an attached connector"

I would agree, but that's contrary to what I've found on 3rd party supply websites!    Does Dell sell this particular CMOS battery (I have not been able to find it on Dell's Parts website)???

82 Posts

July 9th, 2010 13:00

Aaron, after reading your suggestion (above), I thought 'no way, but what the heck I've got nothing to lose'.  Well, after performing those steps, my laptop sprung back to life!!!   ....you da man!   :emotion-2:

Thanks so much!!!

8 Posts

July 9th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for the feedback.   I'm glad to hear that it solved your problem... :emotion-5:

1 Message

October 7th, 2012 14:00

Im having a similar problem as described above.

Two lights blink when computer is turned on while holding the function key.

Screen is black.

I can hear the disk drive spinning but no activity or boot up.

Ive tried an external monitor and still no video.

Ive tried the suggestions in this forum without any results.

Will a bad inverter cause the computer to not boot up?

Please advise with any suggestions.

Thanks!

January 14th, 2013 21:00

had the same problem it was the 1g stick of ram the stick that was in the laptop was 2rx8 pc2-5300 I went out and got a 2r16 pc2-5300 hooked it up and laptop came on with no problem

January 14th, 2013 21:00

had the same problem it was the 1g stick of ram the stick that was in the laptop was 2rx8 pc2-5300 I went out and got a 2r16 pc2-5300 hooked it up and laptop came on with no problem

No Events found!