Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2009 18:00

Inspiron 1525 Hard Drive Clicking

I have an Inspiron 1525 and there is a clicking sound, similar to the dvd tray opening, occuring on the left side of the laptop. This is in the general area of the hard drive and I am a little concerned. The laptop preforms ok, but the 1 year warranty is ending soon and I want to get this fixed if it leads to a bigger problem. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks

1 Message

April 22nd, 2009 19:00

I had the same issue.  I believe I had a seagate drive in my 1525 and it would click occasionally like the hard disk was parking the head periodically.  It made me nervous enough that I contacted Dell.  The support person asked me "Did you remove the drive and see if the problem went away"!  I thought that was a pretty funny question. 

In the end, they sent me a new drive that I installed myself.  It was easy to do.  The only downside was that the drive was a Fujitsu refurbished drive.  I didn't appreciate getting a refurb drive to replace my 1 month old disk, but I haven't had any problems or odd clicks since.

Hope this helps!

2.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 00:00

Once your hard drive begins to make a clicking sound it means it will eventually fail. Call Dell while you are still under warranty and have it replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 01:00

might run a dell diagnostic on the hard drive, and see what it comes up with

check the windows event log,,might tell ya a bit about the problem

find out what manufacturer of hard drive you have, and run their diagnostic tools on it

from my experinece, a clicking hard drive is not good,,,usually a sign of future problems.

No Events found!